Quicken doesn't recognize my Data File Password

Options

Comments

• RJE9
    RJE9 Member
    Options

Thanks for input, K109. Unfortunately, I suspect that the two things are unrelated and coincidental. Personal Vault was introduced in 2019. (I've had mine configured for a few years.) Whether some accidental overlap occurred that addressed the issue, I hope things stay fixed on your end, whatever the reason.

• wkoole
    wkoole Member
    Options

When is this bug going to get fixed. I have the same problem and am concerned about the access to my file.

• jnojross_46
    Options

I am having this same problem and now none of my bank accounts or credit cards can update.

• thelews
    thelews Member
    Options

fredjheller

Exactly the same for me. Been going on for a week or two now, never before and I'd say since "update" to Classic.

• Bdfranck
    Bdfranck Member
    Options

Is this the same problem you guys had?? I tried to validate but there is not an option to do anything. What do I do?

• MDS95
    MDS95 Member
    Options

Same problem for last week on quicken windows not recognizing password. Multiple attempts (sometime hours later) allows it to finally open but VERY concerned with Quicken's response to this as it is an OBVIOUS problem. NONE of the remedies proposed work and no response from Quicken on resolution or even recognition of the issues is most concerning.

• Charlie234
    Charlie234 Member ✭✭
    Options

Been happening to me lately too; any news from Quicken Support?

With Fidelity NetBenefits connection being down for over 3 months and now this it's becoming more and more of a pita to use..

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options

This is not a OneDrive issue. File password is still rejected when the data file is located on computer C drive.

• Seal
    Seal Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. Have used same data file password for years. Have been using OneDrive for about a year with no issues related to Quicken. I think this problem started after the last update.

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue that everyone has stated. This has started after the last update I believe. I am Quicken Classic B&P R52.33 Build 27.1.52.33. I get the wrong password message but when I unmask the password it is obviously correct. If I try clicking retry immediately it tells me wrong password again until I get an error stated Quicken cannot open the data file. I have noticed if after the first password error. If I wait like 5-10 seconds and then hit retry then it sometimes work and let me in. The password is the one associated with the data file. It is a bit annoying having to pay a subscription for these "enhancements" that ends up breaking the software…

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

[REPOSTING FOR CLARITY]

I have an issue similar to what everyone else has stated. This seems to have started after the last update I believe. I am using Quicken Classic B&P R52.33 Build 27.1.52.33 on Windows 10. I get the wrong password message initially but when I then unmask the password, it is obviously the correct one I see. If I try clicking retry immediately then I am prompted with the wrong password message again until I eventually get an error stating Quicken cannot open the data file after about the 3rd error message.

I have noticed that if after the first password error I wait like 5-10 seconds, hit retry, only then does the password let's me in (sometimes). The password in question is the one associated with the data file.

It is a bit annoying having to pay a subscription for these "enhancements" that ends up breaking the software… I am a long-time Quicken user so maybe my large data file is a contributing factor? I also try validating several times to no avail. This has been happening for a few weeks now but I am glad to stumble upon this thread and know I am not the only one who have noticed this behavior.

• andyinhull
    andyinhull Member ✭✭
    Options

With the new version of Quincken, it asks for a password everytime.

My password is 30 charactiors created by a password generator. Needsless to say, I am not remembering the password. It is a pain to have to get into my password manager evertime to retreive the password. Therefore, I have decided to change the password to s shorter one, and one that I will remember.

• russwy
    russwy Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 11. It just started with the last beta update.

• AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I tried all the troubleshooting steps the first time this happened ten days ago. Nothing helped. Typing the password on Notepad, then copying and pasting it into Quicken assures me that I haven't mistyped it. I'm still having to try it several times, or open my test file, then reopen my financial file to complete the access. This isn't making me feel warm and fuzzy about the security of my data.

• ddaless100
    ddaless100 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm also having this problem. Just tried to enter my password and said it was the wrong pw. Restarted Quicken and computer. The error happened again, but after a few tries the pw finally worked. Any update on this?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This appears to be a "feature" with recent Windows 11 OneDrive Updates . Please read and review

• AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just now I opened my financial file by clicking on the "OK" button three times after I'd entered my password once.

• Dave Robinson
    Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Lately, when I open Quicken, I am presented with the password entry splash. Upon entering the password, I receive a response that the password is incorrect. I verified my entry by "looking" at the password and it is correct as I entered. So, I tried again and I received the same response. When that failed I cancelled the attempt. I am then presented with the file manager screen where my data file is located. I select the file, receive the login screen, log in and all is ok. This happened since my last "automatic" Quicken update. My current version of Quicken is R52.33 Buile 27.1.52.33

Dave

Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)
  • hansangb
    hansangb Member ✭✭
    Options

The same problem is happening to me. The first time or two, I thought I had mistyped my password. Then it happened every time. I noticed that if I type very slowly, it seems to work better. Reported the issue via help/report.

• hansangb
    hansangb Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem (reported via help/report). Try typing the password very slowly. That seems to help.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This issue appears to be the same as the one in this Alert.

If so, pausing OneDrive before starting Quicken should help. To do this,

1. Exit Quicken if it is running.
    2. Hover your mouse over the OneDrive cloud icon in your System Tray and wait for the popup to say Up to date. This may take some time, be patient. The icon may be in the overflow area, accessed by clicking on the up arrow at the left of the System Tray.
    3. Right click on the icon and select Pause syncing. Choose a time longer than you will be using Quicken.
    4. Restart Quicken.
    5. Exit Quicken when you are done.

Please post back and let us know if it works normally now.

QWin Premier subscription
  • mfallentine
    mfallentine Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Quicken team - this is a problem for everyone. [Edited - Readability] You must type in your password twice. First time it fails, put the same password in again and it works. Please post the bug number and post on the general issues list so we can track which version of Quicken will fix this.

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023
    Options

@mfallentine

Are you running OneDrive? If so, please try pausing OneDrive syncing before opening Quicken as described in the post just above yours and let us know if that fixes it.

I think this Alert applies to this issue.

• MarkTwain
    MarkTwain Member ✭✭
    Options

Like some other people in this thread, I am a long-time Quicken user who has used the same password for years. After the latest update, I too had my password rejected when I attempted to open my data file. After a bit of panic, I restarted my computer, and fortunately was able to now log in to my file. Today, the same thing happened. My password was rejected the first time, but the second time I was able to open the file.

As multiple people are reporting the same problem, this is clearly a Quicken issue, most likely related to the last update, and not an individual user problem.

The solution, as others have also remarked, is to be persistent. Try entering the password multiple times if it is rejected; restart Quicken if necessary, and reboot your computer as well. Eventually, the file will open.

Let's hope Quicken addresses this problem in the next update, but in the meantime, I second the comments of user UKR above - I always make a back-up copy of my file after entering new data. Quicken also makes the occasional backup as well, if you forget to do so, and have to restore a file.

• texag
    texag Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m also having this issue. Came here to see if others are having same problem and I see I’m not alone. Frustrating that there is no bug fix yet.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@texag

If you are having the same issue as others have described here, pausing OneDrive before starting Quicken should help. To do this,

1. Exit Quicken if it is running.
    2. Locate the cloud-shaped OneDrive icon in the System Tray, at the bottom right of your screen. It may be in the overflow area, accessed by clicking on the up arrow at the left of the System Tray.
    3. Hover your mouse over the OneDrive icon and wait for the popup to say Up to date. This may take some time, be patient.
    4. Right click on the icon and select Pause syncing. Choose a time longer than you will be using Quicken.
    5. Restart Quicken.
    6. Exit Quicken when you are done.

Please post back and let us know if it works normally now.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I also began having problems opening my Quicken file after latest upgrade to Classic Quicken. For what it's worth I figured out this work-around; unsure how long it holds but maybe help some of you. I have in past few months began using a VPN. Figured maybe VPN not compatible with Classic Quicken on sign in. So, disabled VPN before signing in, and guess what, last few sign ins no problems; at least thus far?? ;-) Maybe try this??

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

PS: after signing in to Quicken, I can turn on VPN and use Quicken with no problems

• hansangb
    hansangb Member ✭✭
    Options

I haven't tried stopping OneDrive yet. But using "show password" seems to work as well. I just tried to type slowly (thought that worked) but it didn't . It bombed twice. Reopened the file and used "show password" and I got in.

This discussion has been closed.