Quicken doesn't recognize my Data File Password

Options

Comments

• Antonio Ramos
    Options

Data file password not recognized as quicken starts. Data file is kept locally and at MS OneDrive. After waiting a few seconds the second try may (or may not) work. It all began after the last update. It is clearly a bug.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • hansangb
    hansangb Member ✭✭
    Options

I would think it's a bug in the new version of Quicken Classic, no? I haven't updated anything on Windows in a month.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I hate to tell you but OneDrive updates automatically. OneDrive updated itself on 10/23/2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/onedrive-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Congrats to Superuser Jim. After pausing OneDrive able to sign in to Quicken Classic OK, thus far anyway, but only tried one time. So see how it goes ;-) My earlier suggestion of disabling VPN before sign in seems to work "only occasionally" for me, so seeming that theory blown to oblivion :-)

• Tiburon HUX
    Tiburon HUX Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Data file password. That is the issue. And like all others, I experienced the same problem. I did however eliminate the data file password. And for the past week the file opened without issue. However, today I received an "incorrect password' message, and I do not have it password protected. So I closed the message, clicked on file, and opened my data file immediately. So the is a very definite password bug for data file opening. Note: I too use One Drive for my datafile storage due to using different computers (mine personal) in two different homes. [Edited - Readability]

• Tim_Hed
    Tim_Hed Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yep, exact same issue here for about three weeks now. Quicken data file password suddenly always fails to open my data on the first attempt. Then when I close the program and attempt a second time, the same password always successfully opens the same data file. [Edited - Readability] Very bizarre how consistent the problem is with first attempt always failing and second attempt always succeeding. I did a file validation (standard) which had no effect and did not locate any file corruption. I have twenty years of data in my file and am absolutely terrified that access is going to completely fail any moment. Have also been very meticulous entering the password on the first attempt and am definitely not making an error there. This issue seems really prevalent from the posts here over the last month. About to attempt a "Super Validation" and then a password change. I backup regularly, however, since this has been going on for at least three weeks now (and I have over 30 accounts in there) a restore from a month old backup would be nightmarish.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you're on Windows 11 please Pause MS One Drive BEFORE you start Quicken.
    When done using Quicken Resume MS One Drive. There's a One Drive icon in the Taskbar.

If you don't use One Drive at all, consider turning One Drive off completely (but note that, AFAIK, changing your mind and wanting to reactivate One Drive at a later point in time may require a Windows reinstall)

• DanielV
    DanielV Member
    Options

This is to confirm the problem is connected to OneDrive syncing.

I just successfully opened and closed my file 3 times while syncing is paused. I then resumed syncing and tried again. The password was not accepted. I closed Quicken, paused syncing again, and was able to successfully open the file.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@UKR said,

If you don't use One Drive at all, consider turning One Drive off completely (but note that, AFAIK, changing your mind and wanting to reactivate One Drive at a later point in time may require a Windows reinstall)

If you right click on the OneDrive cloud icon, select Pause Syncing, then pick Quit OneDrive, it will be disabled until you restart Windows.

To disable OneDrive more permanently, click on the cloud icon, click the gear at the top right, select Settings, then click on Unlink this PC. This logs you out of OneDrive until you sign back in again. Windows will periodically nag you to log back in.

QWin Premier subscription
  • ChuckandRonda Churchill
    Options

Adding my post from yesterday to this thread. I do use One Drive as well, but point to the local file. And this is correlated to the Classic upgrade, it seems (from timing perspective.

=== orig post ===

- Windows 11; Version R52.33 Build 27.1.52.33

- I have used quicken for > 10 years

Problem: A few weeks ago I went to log in and it said my password was invalid. I found this strange, but I went though the process of resetting my password. No issues throughout the day (I could close and open the file using the password). The next day I restarted my PC, went to open quicken and it said my password was invalid. So I went through the process again. After reset I could open/close the file using the password without issue. If I restarted my PC, it looped back to thinking the password was invalid. I now go through the same thing everyday. Any clue?? Thanks

• pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having this exact same problem. The file won't take my password. When I click show I can see that the password has been entered correctly.

This happens especially if I open the file several times in a day. But it doesn't always happen.

The work around I have found is I click "forgot password." Then it prompts me to log into my quicken.com account, which requires 2FA and has a different password. Once I do that the file opens and I can use it. The next time I use Quicken it will accept the password again, even though I haven't changed it.

This work around is not permanent. After a few days the problem will occur again.

• Higgies
    Higgies Member
    Options

Same issue as the OP. Changing the password seems to have resolved it. You can also go through the process again and change it back to the original password. Hopefully it remains resolved!

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The next time Quicken doesn't accept your password, click on the File menu then select your file from the list at the bottom. It should be the top entry.

Please let us know if the file open now when you enter the password.

Another workaround for this annoying problem until Quicken fixes it is to pause OneDrive before starting Quicken. Here are the steps once again:

1. Exit Quicken if it is running.
    2. Locate the cloud-shaped OneDrive icon in the System Tray, at the bottom right of your screen. It may be in the overflow area, accessed by clicking on the up arrow at the left of the System Tray.
    3. Hover your mouse over the OneDrive icon and wait for the popup to say Up to date. This may take some time, be patient.
    4. Right click on the icon and select Pause syncing. Choose a time longer than you will be using Quicken. If you pick Quit OneDrive, synching will be disabled until you restart Windows. To disable OneDrive more permanently, click on the cloud icon, click the gear at the top right, select Settings, then click on Unlink this PC. This logs you out of OneDrive until you sign back in again. Windows will periodically nag you to log back in.
    5. Restart Quicken.
    6. Exit Quicken when you are done.

• pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman - The connection to one-drive is interesting. Maybe we don't need to turn it off. Maybe we just need to make sure One-drive isn't actively backing up a file or files when we go to enter our Quicken file password. That can be checked by looking at the Cloud icon in the tray at the bottom right.

Today when I opened Quicken I thought of your post so I check and waited until One drive was finished with what it was doing, then entered my password and it worked. I'm going to do that for a while to see if I have further problems.

This is still something Quicken needs to fix. These work arounds shouldn't be necessary.

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2023
    Options

@pspiel Please continue to experiment and let us know what you find. There is another active discussion on this topic here, where users are reporting that if Quicken rejects their password, they can go to the File menu and open the file from the list of recent files.

These users also report that pausing OneDrive before starting Quicken resolves the problem.

• ChuckandRonda Churchill
    Options

@pspiel - any further update on your experiment?

• pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@ChuckandRonda Churchill @Jim_Harman - I don't have many datapoints yet, but for the last few days I have checked to make sure there isn't any OneDrive update activity going on before hitting OK after typing my Q file password. If there's activity I wait until it finishes before I click OK. So far my password has not been refused by this method.

• Dave Robinson
    Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I turned off my password. The file still won't open if OneDrive is syncing. Pausing OD and all seems ok.

Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)
  • Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi all,

One temp solution that consistently worked for me appears to be what @Jim_Harman has mentioned multiple times above.

As I noted above, it was randomly letting me in after several attempts including slow typing, pauses between re-clicking OK, closing the app and reopening, failing 2x and then clicking cancel and reselecting the database file and trying again, etc.

I can CONFIRM that I am consistently able to get into my Quicken data file when I pause OneDrive. The funny thing is, I am on Windows10 so the bulletin that states it is affecting OneDrive & Windows11 only is incorrect. This is obviously a corner case bug that was introduced with the last Quicken update. This issue began rearing its head after that update in October.

In any event, just pause your OneDrive sync as noted. Once you are in Quicken immediately resume OneDrive so you do not inadvertently lose files due to a missed backup opportunity!

• bwraith
    bwraith Member
    Options

I experienced this problem, too. Thanks for the information about OneDrive and Quicken creating a data file password problem. In my case, I had just ported from a Windows 10 VM on linux to an actual laptop. I didn't realize or forgot or whatever that the default location (Documents) where Quicken creates the test file is part of OneDrive by default. So, I didn't even know I had put my data file on a cloud drive at first. I've always avoided the temptation to have my data file on any cloud drives (GDrive, Dropbox, Tresorit, OneDrive etc.) because of the warnings Quicken has always had about network drives and cloud drives not being supported. I noticed that Quicken was slow and the interface seemed to be a little intermittent in its responsiveness. Then the data file password problem happened. So, I've created a "Quicken" folder outside of OneDrive for the data file, and the intermittent interface problems and data file password problem have gone away. For what it's worth, I would recommend avoiding having the data file itself on OneDrive and just keep the backups on OneDrive, although it means having to be mindful of doing the backups and saving them on a cloud drive consistently. Maybe there is a way to explicitly have the "BACKUP" directory only on OneDrive?

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have moved my Quicken data file to a non-OneDrive location. I have also configured Quicken to remain backing up to the original OneDrive folder. Lastly, I have placed a shortcut to the Quicken data file that is now located at the non-OneDrive path so my day-to-day operations on my computer remains about the same before this issue surfaced. I will consider this issue resolved for me until Quicken releases an update. Thank you all!

-J

• BriGuy
    BriGuy Member
    Options

I have the same issue with Quicken that started recently. When opening Quicken it auto-loads my data file. It prompts me to enter my file password. It rejects the password. Then I have just Quicken open without any data file. I then go to the menu and select my data file. I enter the password and this time it accepts it. Happens every time I start Quicken. I have my quicken data file stored locally on my hard drive. The folder that the file is in does sync to OneDrive for cloud backup of the file. My local file storage and cloud syncing have been setup for about 2 years now without this problem. This just started in the last couple of weeks. I did submit this to the "report a problem to Quicken" through the menu as requested a couple of times in this string of posts. Hopefully others submit the issue and Quicken can work to resolve it.

• Charlie234
    Charlie234 Member ✭✭
    Options

At least for me have finally discovered that if I actually wait about 10 seconds after the password prompt then type in my password the quicken data file opens every time.

I have not re-configured OneDrive or messed with its settings.

• reb.bamf@gmail.com
    Options

I am having the same problem. Whenever I sign in to Quicken classic, I guess a message that says, "Quicken is unable to open the data file", then shows the path to it. If I click okay, I can then select my data file from the File menu, and it opens fine. Not a big deal, just annoying that I have to sign in twice most of the time. I'd say about one out of ten times it works the first time.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

this seems to be due to issues between quicken and MS OneDrive. For me, I have found a workaround by pausing OneDrive sync, then opening quicken. There is another thread about this about as well.

• jcpierson
    jcpierson Member ✭✭
    Options

Pausing OneDrive before opening Quicken worked for me as well

• pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE: Today for the first time in a while I forgot to check if there was any OneDrive activity before logging into Quicken and Quicken did not accept my password. As soon as that happened I checked the cloud icon in the bottom right of my screen and sure enough there was update activity happening. I waited a couple seconds until that has done and then hit enter again (I didn't even re-type my password, I just left what I had typed originally) and the password was accepted. This tells me there's no need to turn off OneDrive. Just make sure there's no activity before hitting enter after typing in your Quicken password.

Quicken tech team, this group has done a lot to isolate this problem. Please fix it for us.

• ColoradoJim
    Options

Like many of the posters on this thread, I have been a loyal Quicken user for decades. The fundamental operating deficiency identified on this thread has been outstanding for five weeks. Your users appear to have done enormous legwork to help Quicken solve the problem. FIX THIS NOW!

This discussion has been closed.