Quicken Classic Web Sync... Is it stable now?

Options
jr_ece
jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭

It's been about a year and a half since a few of us had a discussion about Web Sync potentially being a root cause for data integrity issues in Quicken. Recall the missing or corrupt paycheck issues back in R39. I'm wondering if 18 months of updates might have improved or resolved issues that were contributed to web sync.

Reference the following post:

Best Answer

• AlexisoftheShire
    AlexisoftheShire Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Like many of you I have had Quicken for well over 20+ years. I've tried Quicken Cloud and Mobile sync. Unfortunately, it has failed every time by corrupting my Windows desktop file. As pointed out I just quit trying because I don't think the Mobile or Cloud developers truly understand the data integrity requirements of a complicated data base and old data base architecture that Quicken uses. I am an Android Phone user (currently on a Pixel 7) and the Mobile app continues to corrupt my data file. It seems MAC and IOS users do significantly better than Windows and Android users even though the dominant user population is Windows users. I go to the Google Play store periodically and this forum to see if there has been any quality updates to resolve the synchronizing problems and so far the answer is no. I'm surprised Quicken leadership doesn't view the comments in this forum, the r/quicken forum, or the ratings on the Google Play store site for Quicken mobile and invest into resolving the sync problems.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think anyone can answer this question. Typically, once a person is burned by this, they stop using it. This by its own nature reduces the number of complaints but doesn't fix the root cause.

Here is how I see it. Web Sync first came out in Quicken 2010. From day one it corrupted data files. At the beginning it was corrupting almost everyone's data file (it didn't even go through beta because the server wasn't ready at the time, and they released it without user testing as soon as the server was available).

Over the next few months, they got it down to "only corrupting a few user's data files". Ever since that time the complaints on it at any given time have gone at times, and down at other times.

There isn't a SuperUser here that would think to use it for anything other than testing. And by that very nature, it means that none of us that frequent this forum can actually tell you if it is still corrupting data files or not.

So, it comes down to what Clint Eastwood said, "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For some folks it works great, for others it is like a puppy that is not potty trained yet and it dumps all over their data file. A user won't know which group they are in until they try it, just make a backup of your data file before even thinking about turning it on.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW I had a feeling you would chime in 😄! Thanks for the input and you as well @splasher.

Are there any current web sync users that would like to chime in with your thoughts? I'm genuinely curious to hear more opinion on this capability.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I’ve had syncing to Quicken Cloud enabled since I started using Quicken back in 2014, and regularly use both the mobile app and web app (both for viewing data from the desktop app and for adding data which then syncs back to the desktop app) and I’ve never had any issues with it. I use Quicken Classic Premier for Mac. Here are the best practices that have worked well for me as far as keeping everything in sync nicely and avoiding errors:

1. When using the desktop app, I always start with a full update to pull the latest data from my banks and also to pull any new information I may have entered on the web or in the mobile app so I know I am working with the most up-to-date information. 
    2. When I finish working in the desktop app, I always end with another full update to sync all my changes to Quicken Cloud so that when I open Quicken on the Web or the mobile app, I know that I will be working with the most up-to-date information from the desktop app. 
    3. When accessing Quicken on the Web or the Quicken Mobile app, I always let the initial update that always starts when using either one to fully finish so I know that I’m working with the most up-to-date info from the desktop app before making any changes or edits. 
    4. Finally, when I’m done working with Quicken on the Web or the mobile app, I do another update (on the web there’s an update button similar to the desktop app; on the mobile app you swipe down to trigger another sync). That way I know that the next time I open the desktop app and do my initial update, it’ll be pulling all of my most recent changes from Quicken on the Web/mobile app. 

Working this way has made things run smoothly for me, and my data stays in sync across all devices. Obviously not everyone has had that experience and I don’t use Quicken for Windows, so always be sure to keep backups of your file regularly, but I love the mobile and web app functionality. Best of luck!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Given @Austin@ 's input I would like to clarify something in regard to my feedback. I was talking about when using Quicken Windows (note this post is in a Quicken Windows thread). Quicken Mac seems to be completely different. I don't have Quicken Mac, but just judging by the feedback in this forum, I have seen very few Quicken Mac Sync complains, and never any "data corruption".

Signature:
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks @Austin@ much appreciated.

Interesting @Chris_QPW. I noticed the Mac reference as well and was wondering if there might be some differences.

Let's see if there are some Quicken Windows web sync users who will chime in.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Chris_QPW Thanks for the clarification. Quicken for Mac does seem to be a lot less prone to data file corruption issues (as in, it’s virtually non-existent, there is no concept of or need for file validating or super validating, etc.), so that’s definitely a factor to consider when syncing to Quicken Cloud is concerned. I probably shouldn’t have chimed in since I’m a Mac user. Sorry to muddy the water! :)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "tags" do mention both, but the main category is Windows (Errors and troubleshooting)

@Austin@ No it is fine, as @jr_ece points out the "tags" do include Quicken Mac, and even if they didn't, having a reference point from Quicken Mac is good thing.

Signature:
  • Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here’s my 2 cents with Quicken Windows. I have a savings account and several credit cards that I sync to Quicken mobile/web. These are all manual accounts (not enabled for download). I enter transactions on the desktop, mobile app, and website, and they sync fine.

I used to also sync my checking account, but stopped a few months ago after facing paycheck, scheduled-date, scheduled-amount, and split-transaction corruptions.

This is the best compromise for me. At least I can enter credit card transactions using the mobile app when I’m out, and they sync back to the desktop.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I have been running a copy of one of my real data files for about a month with SYNC on to see if it is usable.

No major problems yet and both the real and the SYNC file agree in numbers.

I do run into more problems with Sync file with messages in mobile about account needs attention frequently requiring work on desktop to get accounts to Sync.

I like being able to get access to my data when out But I still don't trust it yet. It is worth the extra 10 minutes a day to run a shadow copy of data file.

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks for your perspectives @Q97 and @miklk. Sounds like one of these could be adopted as a workaround to get mobile access without too much risk, but not an optimal route.

I'm asking about the mobile sync option due to being on the go so much and not liking a lot of transactions stacking up on me. It gets old constantly playing catch up when I get time to sit down in my home office. I've considered moving to an online solution as several friends have done in recent years, but I've stuck with Quicken mostly for the more detailed investing features and overall financial consolidation. As online financial sites have gotten better I'm rethinking this and wondering if I should just move to an online finance management site (e.g., could be simplifi) and do a simple broker sync to get at least a top level rollup for a total wealth view.

I'm still curious to see if others have found a way to make it work for them, but ultimately it's not going to be reliable unless possibly on a Mac.

• AlexisoftheShire
    AlexisoftheShire Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Like many of you I have had Quicken for well over 20+ years. I've tried Quicken Cloud and Mobile sync. Unfortunately, it has failed every time by corrupting my Windows desktop file. As pointed out I just quit trying because I don't think the Mobile or Cloud developers truly understand the data integrity requirements of a complicated data base and old data base architecture that Quicken uses. I am an Android Phone user (currently on a Pixel 7) and the Mobile app continues to corrupt my data file. It seems MAC and IOS users do significantly better than Windows and Android users even though the dominant user population is Windows users. I go to the Google Play store periodically and this forum to see if there has been any quality updates to resolve the synchronizing problems and so far the answer is no. I'm surprised Quicken leadership doesn't view the comments in this forum, the r/quicken forum, or the ratings on the Google Play store site for Quicken mobile and invest into resolving the sync problems.

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AlexisoftheShire Thanks for the input. A current experience like this is what I was wanting to hear. Unfortunately it indicates no improvement from issues described above and in the past months/years. I'm with you on being surprised Quicken leadership hasn't made it a point to resolve this issue. What's being described here is worse than not existing at all in that it is leading users to corrupt their data believing it's on par with other mobile online tools.

It's kind of like having your pension frozen. In that moment, the "anchor" is gone and you can become a free agent to go elsewhere if you choose. Not having a working mobile solution is certainly pushing me open the aperture to see what else I can move to in order to get a mobile app solution for all finances + investing.

Great community. Thanks again to all!

This discussion has been closed.