Out of memory, after R52.28 update - on Win11 (edit)

Options
Eileen@
Eileen@ Member ✭✭✭

I start up my program, enter password, and then attempt one step update. About four minutes later, I get out of memory. It will keep running on the screen if I press OK, but it will do nothing but spin. I have to manually kill the program.

I work in IT for a living, so I know the basic things to do. I have restarted. I am only running that program, nothing else. I have plenty of on board RAM. Safe mode came up as just a blank window. Attempted update of a single account gave the same error. I have not made any major changes. It is a quicken error, and can be duplicated by running one step update.

I don't want to roll back to the last working file. I don't want to reinstall. I want quicken to release an update to resolve this. I don't see many promising discussions on this error in the past 2 years.

Anyone experiencing the same? A good fix? Or can Quicken programmers chime in? Is this a known error?

Comments

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A whole lot of folks have the slowness issue and they have had for months and months and months. I have not ran out of memory but have had to manually kill the program also. The slowness is continuing to this day. Don't be suprised if you get a lot of "regulars" here who don't have the slowness issue saying you have a problem with your hardware, ISP, graphics, and etc. Quicken has an alert posted about this but no updates since August 9 and no ETA on when it will get resolved.

Link to alert:

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no solution for your problem, and if it was me, I would take the steps that you are refusing to take at least to try to narrow down the problem because I doubt that Quicken is going to magically produce a new update that fixes your problem.

And I will point out what "Out of memory" really means. It has nothing to do with the amount of RAM on the machine. It has to do with the virtual memory, and it can even be a false error message.

There really should never be a reason why Quicken would run out of virtual memory, but there are ways that it can happen given certain kinds of bugs. Basically, in programming terms a "memory leak". Where the program allocates memory but fails to deallocate when it is finished with it. Think of where it is allocating a block of memory in a loop, and that should be something that it temporarily uses and gets rid of before doing the same operation over and over.

The telltale sign of this is to watch Quicken's memory usage in the Task Manager and if it just keeps going up while doing something that is a memory leak. Note that Quicken is a 32-bit program that means it can access an address space of about 4 GB, but in practice because the memory space being used for other things, it is usually 2 GB. If it gets near that amount, you can expect Quicken to throw this error, or even just crash.

The other way this error message might come up is if Quicken asks for a block of memory, but sets the parameters incorrectly then the system APIs will return an error, and Quicken might just treat that with a generic out of memory message.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Eileen@
    Eileen@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Retird - Thank you for the heads up. I was dealing with the slowness, but I could leave it and come back and the updates were there. I can deal with slower than normal. And yes, I'm used to getting people saying it's hardware. I'm on a new system, and all the hardware is well above standard for this program. I am on windows 11, so the article is relevant.

Good insight Chris. In Task manager, it's only getting up to 488mb before crashing. That's while doing a one step update. When I am doing nothing, it's sitting at 186mb.

On your urging, I did just try the oldest stable backup - from a couple weeks ago when I did a full, not incremental, backup, and it gets the same error.

Also, this install is relatively new. I recently got a new computer up on windows 11. It's been about three months. So this install is new. It was stable until the last update.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you feel that it is the update to Quicken you can install the last one using the installs on this web page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Eileen@
    Eileen@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I ended up doing a restore and losing a few days of data. It did work. I shouldn't have had to do that though.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Eileen@

Out of curiosity, are you running OneDrive and is your Quicken data file in the default Documents\Quicken folder or someplace else in the Documents path? I have seen issues with that combination and I think it might be affecting you.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.