wildcard for report payee

Options
danfranceski
danfranceski Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I want a report of all payments to a payee whose name starts with, for example ABCD, regardless of what comes after, like

ABCD

ABCD LLC

ABCD Inc

Is there a wildcard feature?

I tried ABCD* and ABCD? but that did not work.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, there are wildcards. They are few and limited in nature. The one you are looking for is "..". You would filter your payee to be "ABCD.."

See the page

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216908

I just filtered a report of all payees using "san.." as the filter and it worked. To anchor to the start of the payee string, "=ABCD.." might work better in the general case, you'll have to experiment.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the above examples you can just use ABCD in the Payee Contains field. That will include ones like XXX ABCD, but maybe the that will be enough for your use case, because I don't think there is any way to force it to "anchor" to the beginning of the field. Note make sure you leave the payees selected in the payee list.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • danfranceski
    danfranceski Member ✭✭
    Options

Before your response I had never seen a field "Payee Contains", because In the Reports menu For "easy Answer" I only have a field "Payment to:"

Based on your response (Thank You) I searched through other tabs and found "Payee Contains" under :Spending by Payee" then "Customize" then "Payee". Unfortunately the resulting screen shows only Totals for all matching Payees on separate lines and then each line must be double-clicked to open in turn just to see the transactions. That does not save me any time or effort.

I was hoping for a single report with all the transactions for payees containing the desired part of the name.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, there are wildcards. They are few and limited in nature. The one you are looking for is "..". You would filter your payee to be "ABCD.."

See the page

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216908

I just filtered a report of all payees using "san.." as the filter and it worked. To anchor to the start of the payee string, "=ABCD.." might work better in the general case, you'll have to experiment.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• danfranceski
    danfranceski Member ✭✭
    Options

Great, thanks so much. (I would have never guessed two dots).

When I used it in the field you showed, I got only totals on individual lines and then I had to cleck each in turn to see he transactions (not what I need).

But when I used "EasyAnswer" "How Much did I pay too.." with the wildcard (..) I got all matching payees in one report. Exactly what I was looking for.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want a report that shows all the transactions for a Payee containing a particular string, use the report at Reports > Spending > Itemized Payees. Click on the gear to customize. On the Payees tab, enter your search filter in the Payee Contains box.

To see the individual transactions, click on Expand All.

If you don't want the report subtotalled by Payee, us the Banking Transaction report instead.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.