Credit Card Transactions Not Registering in Budget

Options

3 months ago I started using a credit card instead of my debit card for all of my transactions. Both credit card and debit card are in the same credit union as my checking/savings accounts.

I just went to look at my budget and noticed none of the transactions applied to my credit card are being assigned to the category in my budget. It's been happening for 3 months now. The only transactions that show up are the occasional debit card through the checking account.

I opened Budget Actions and Select Accounts to make sure the credit cards were checked to include in the budget. They were.

Any idea why this is happening?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pastchief8,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

First, backup your Quicken file.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately no luck with either suggestions.

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

I also testing creating a new budget and allowing Quicken to choose the categories. Same result. And I verified the credit cards are showing as checked in the account selection list.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pastchief8,

Are you able to restore from a backup that was created before you noticed this issue began to occur? You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information regarding saving and restoring from backups.

-Quicken Jasmine

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

No I use the same file name every time. Not sure what good going to a backup would do. That would be more than 3 months back.

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

So I created a new Quicken file and relinked my credit union account. It downloaded all of the transactions. I then accepted only the credit card transaction. Created a new budget and the transactions appeared in the budget. So it appears there is something wrong with my Quicken file I'm using but I'm not going to create a new one this late in the year. It's seems Quicken can handle this but there must be a bug somewhere.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pastchief8,

Thank you for providing more information.

In that case then next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue… To me it sounds like there is a bug in the code when you add new accounts and it's connection to the budget.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pastchief8,

Due to the previous troubleshooting steps failing, we recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for further assistance as an escalation may be in order.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 a.m. PT to 5:00 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that we could not be of more assistance.

-Quicken Jasmine

• mikn67
    mikn67 Member ✭✭
    Options

Are you tracking the Credit Card account in your budget? I believe the previous responses took your issue a few steps too far. Just tell Quicken which accounts you want to track in the budget by the "Select accounts…" option.

• mikn67
    mikn67 Member ✭✭
    Options

Oops!!! I missed part of your post. Bad info I provided here. :-(

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

@mikn67 @Quicken Jasmine

yes I am.

After doing more research I believe the problem is in the Planning page itself. I selected the appropriate accounts including the credit card accounts yet the Actual values do not update.

I started looking through some of the Reports and found Spending/Current Budget. When I review the Accounts list and add in the appropriate credit card accounts, the report actually shows my expenses applied to the credit cards in question. So now I have a true view of ALL of my expenses. It's a pain but at least I can now review my actual expenses for everything compared to the budget for each category. Quicken needs fix this bug in the Planning page.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When looking at the Budgets page (Planning tab), have you selected the correct budget Year? And the correct budget table by Name?

I once was looking at last year's budget view, wondering why my actuals for a transaction dated this year wouldn't show …

• pastchief8
    pastchief8 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am selecting the correct year.

This discussion has been closed.