Windows Classic Release R52.28 & R52.33 Math Errors

Options

Since a R52.28 update, Quicken is adding payments to my credit card balance, rather than subtracting them. Help!

USAA Federal Savings Bank. I am unable to download updates from their website (a known issue) but totals on the website are correct, not erroneous as now happens in my Quicken account.

Screenshot will not upload to this messge.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What color is the BALANCE column in your Credit Card account in Q? If it's RED, which I suspect, you've got a CREDIT BALANCE in the account, where Q thinks that the bank owes you money.

This can happen if a transaction, in Q is duplicated or deleted.

SO, when was the last time that you reconciled your card account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Robert W. Miller

@NotACPA got his colors backwards. The balance column in bank registers is Black if you have a positive balance and Red if you have a negative balance. Unless you overpay your credit card bill and you have a credit balance, the balance should be Red.

If it is Black, you have either missed some charges or got some extra (dups) payments pushing you into a credit balance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening. Or maybe you are missing some charges?

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card. Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned. When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it. And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance. If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken. I've been reading the opening balance might have got changed during an update or when syncing.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.