Duplicate Accounts downloaded

Options
RobnBill
RobnBill Member

My partner and I each have our own accounts at the same bank. We also have a joint account at that bank. There is a login connection for each of us. The joint account appears twice in Quicken - once for each of us.

I can't drop the connection for the joint account in one login - it gives an error to the effect this connection (for the joint) is duplicated.

What is the safest and best way to eliminate of the accounts? Do I just delete one of the joint accounts.

New to Quicken for Mac - back after many years.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @RobnBill,

To answer your question, the safest thing to do is backup your Quicken file, then try deleting one of the duplicate accounts. If it won't let you delete one of the duplicate accounts, it should let you delete the other.

What most likely caused the issue is that the both of you are primary account holders on the joint account, so both User IDs would have permissions from the financial institution to connect/download into Quicken. This would have caused it to show up on the add/link list under both User IDs when connecting the accounts, resulting in the duplicate account.

To prevent the issue in the future, take note of which User ID you have the joint account connected under. Whenever you need to add or reconnect an account with that financial institution under the other User ID, make sure to set the joint account to Do Not Add, if it is listed on the add/link screen.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @RobnBill,

To answer your question, the safest thing to do is backup your Quicken file, then try deleting one of the duplicate accounts. If it won't let you delete one of the duplicate accounts, it should let you delete the other.

What most likely caused the issue is that the both of you are primary account holders on the joint account, so both User IDs would have permissions from the financial institution to connect/download into Quicken. This would have caused it to show up on the add/link list under both User IDs when connecting the accounts, resulting in the duplicate account.

To prevent the issue in the future, take note of which User ID you have the joint account connected under. Whenever you need to add or reconnect an account with that financial institution under the other User ID, make sure to set the joint account to Do Not Add, if it is listed on the add/link screen.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• RobnBill
    RobnBill Member
    Options

Thanks Kristina - I was able to delete the extra copies without issue - I did backup first.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear you were able to delete the duplicate accounts.

Feel free to reach back out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.