Unable to Add Account for Morgan Stanely

Options
gzsagdfs
gzsagdfs Member

I've enabled Third party sharing in my Morgan Stanley Wealth Management account.

When I try to Add Account (via Set up Download) in Quicken Classic Premier (R52.33 build 27.1.52.33), I get an error window that says "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

In Connlog.txt, I see the following lines:

20231022 18:20:10: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.morganstanleyclientserv.com/ofx/quickenWin.ofx
20231022 18:20:10: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67305872
20231022 18:20:10: The server does not recognize a request from the application. Try again now, or wait and try later.
20231022 18:20:10: QFN: End send to https://ofx.morganstanleyclientserv.com/ofx/quickenWin.ofx, netstatus 14

I've tried this repeatedly since I first opened the account with MS, Quicken Add Account always fails the same way.

Comments

• gzsagdfs
    gzsagdfs Member
    Options

screenshot of the error

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @gzsagdfs,

We currently have an active alert regarding users receiving a, "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)". You can follow this link to access that alert where you can bookmark it to see any and all future updates.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DavMy0412
    DavMy0412 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

[Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]

• gzsagdfs
    gzsagdfs Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

This issue is caused by a hidden bug/limitation in Quicken where linked account passwords cannot exceed 32 characters. I had to learn about this Quicken limitation from a Morgan Stanley rep who was actively helping me with this. When I changed my Morgan Stanley password to something shorter than 32 characters, I was able to link the account.

[Removed - Rant]

• gzsagdfs
    gzsagdfs Member
    Options

Quicken Jasmine,

I finally determined this issue is caused by Quicken's limit of 32 characters for account passwords. I had a 33-character password for my Morgan Stanley account. When I changed it to something less than 32 characters long, I was able to add the account.

I was told Quicken had this 32-character limit by a Morgan Stanley agent who was actively helping me with this issue.

So I have the following follow-up questions for you:

1. Why didn't you tell me about this Quicken limitation to help me trouble shoot this issue? Why would the Morgan Stanley CS agent know more about Quicken than a Quicken company rep?
    2. Why doesn't the Quicken program give me an error when I enter a third party account password longer than 32 characters, instead of failing silently with an unhelpful "It's not your fault" error? This is a Quicken program bug for which I think you should file a ticket.
    3. Why does this limit exist at all? With today's world of password managers, long passwords are increasingly common.
    4. When I told the Morgan Stanley agent about the Quicken Ticket # 10203466, CTP-6608 for this issue, he looked it up and found it at Quicken, but noted it had not been escalated to Morgan Stanley at all. Why would Quicken would ask a customer (me) to reach out to Morgan Stanley instead of making use of the established shared issue tracking system?

I'm quite disappointed this issue remained open for so many months without help from Quicken and with no updates other than "We do not have an ETA at this time for a resolution for this issue, though our teams continue to work towards a solution." Clearly, they were not.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @gzsagdfs,

The Support Article that I provided was based upon the information that you gave in your original post. I was unaware that your password was too long as I do not have access to that information unless it is provided by the user (you).

Please be aware that you were misinformed by the Morgan Stanley customer service representative as I was able to find the ticket that you referenced and confirmed that Quicken was in communication with Morgan Stanley (see screenshot below). Also, I was able to confirm that this ticket is currently closed and does not relate to the issue that you were experiencing.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.