Fix what is there: Quicken Bill Manager Problems

Options

Before you add more reports or change some of the layout, graphics, et, please fix the buggy bill paying systems.

I am a long time user who has depended on bill pay for decades. With this new system there are missed checks, late charges and interest charges I NEVER before got.

Is Quicken reimbursing for these?

Please focus on getting rid of the many bugs in the bill pay system before putting resources on anything else.

3 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please consider this alternative to Bill Manager. Many banks and billers, in an attempt to secure their computer systems from hackers, no longer support third-party data aggregators like Quicken, Intuit, etc.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Besides UKR's suggestion I suggest that you go to your biller's website's and setup automatic bill pay there. Once setup, it works pretty much automatically, and if the payment source is a credit card, then the "cashflow" is even easier to manage.

But to respond to your original questions:

Before you add more reports or change some of the layout, graphics, et, please fix the buggy bill paying systems.

This is never going to happen because it is based on a false assumption. The assumption that the system can be "fixed". It can't. This is the same as a call for Express Web Connect to be "fixed" where it works correctly all the time for all financial institutions. There isn't any standardized way of doing the bill system as currently implemented by the service that Quicken uses for this. The whole premise that the third-party service can access the "biller's website" and do what they need in a consistent fashion is fantasy.

On top of that it doesn't even look like this company is competent in sending out checks reliably. Quicken Inc can't really change any of this, but they will continue to try, I guess. As in they just introduced the feature that the third-party service will use an ACH transfer as a backup if the QuickPay/access biller's website fails (why not at the primary source? maybe costs), but of course that is only if that is available and clearly if a check has to be sent that is a completely different situation.

In other words, you are telling Quicken Inc to tell the third-party service to do a better job with a system that is flawed in design. And thinking that they should hold up on work until that is done even though it isn't really in their control, and fixing the other things you want them to ignore is.

No. I have never looked at any of the agreements on this, but I would bet there is something that says that they are not responsible for this. And I'm sure the third-party service has the same in their contracts.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No. I have never looked at any of the agreements on this, but I would bet there is something that says that they are not responsible for this. And
    I'm sure the third-party service has the same in their contracts.

That is exactly what the Terms of Use state. And if we had not agreed to the terms of use when we installed Quicken we never would have been granted the license to be able to use Quicken. It's actually pretty much in agreement with what every other software manufacturer states in their terms of use….that we are using the product at our own risk and agree to hold them 100% harmless for any losses or costs incurred by our use of their product. For anyone who wants to see what the Terms of Use actually states click on this following link: https://www.quicken.com/terms-of-use.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• El Chupacabra
    El Chupacabra Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't trust Quicken for bill pay… I would just like for the bill information to populate correctly for the few that I have tied to my account. They started not updating the right pay amount until the following month, and now none of them work at all. I have tried to "repair" them many times, and nothing helps. These aren't high-tech accounts either… simple utilitly bills with no MFA or anything.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Totally agree. "Bill presentment" was first introduced in Quicken 2015 (same third-party service). I tried to get it to work reliably for years and then gave up. When the other third-party service Quicken Inc was using dropped bill pay and Quicken scrambled and activated this third-party bill payment system using the same methods. They succeeded in getting a new bill payment system up a running in a fairly short time frame, but based on a system that can never work reliable, not really much of a win for the customer.

Signature:
  • Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I agree, I would like to see more resources allocated to fixing the QBM, "Bill presentment", and bill payment, both Quick Pay and Check Pay. If the third-party vendor cannot provide a reliable service to Quicken, then maybe Quicken needs to seek out alternatives. Finally, if reliable "bill management " and third-party aggregation is just not a reality anymore, then remove it from the product and seek ways to improve the Quicken product by working with billers to make the other methods like UKR mentioned, easier.

By the way: After using QBM for months, I believe that there are a fair number of "bugs" in the Quicken app in regard to QBM. So, I am not sure I can blame most of the issues on the third-party service, or third-party aggregation. IMHO.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Randy 415 I agree with this statement too:

By the way: After using QBM for months, I believe that there are a fair number of "bugs" in the Quicken app in regard to QBM. So, I am not sure I can blame most of the issues on the third-party service, or third-party aggregation. IMHO.

Of course, it depends on the problem. For instance, checks that never show up, are most likely not Quicken's fault, but there are certainly things that I believe Quicken is doing wrong. For instance, on some bills they can't get the current bill amount at certain times of the month, and you end up with a predict future bill of zero. That is just plain wrong. And I think that some of those "Fix connection" are bugs in Quicken too.

Signature:
  • El Chupacabra
    El Chupacabra Member ✭✭
    Options

@Randy 415 - “I believe that there are a fair number of "bugs" in the Quicken app”

That is the understatement of the year! I have personally reported 3 serious issues to Quicken since May… and so many more that I’m hoping get fixed because reporting issues is a painful time-suck!

I have used this app since 1995 and have never had so many problems as now. I’ve had to rebuild my data from backups 3x this year because something went south from data disappearing… mostly from support asking you to try something, which screws up the cloud sync.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@El Chupacabra said:

went south from data disappearing… mostly from support asking you to try something, which screws up the cloud sync.

In my main data file, I never use Sync to Mobile/Web, there are just too many dangerous problems with it that have been there from day one, but "sync" goes far beyond this these days and as such has made it so that I no longer try as much testing as I did in the past to help others with their problems. Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + both use sync to the cloud as the way they get their transactions down into Quicken Desktop. The result is a very fragile system where even using a backup copy of your data file doesn't ensure you can recover from the problem, because part of the problem can be in the Quicken Cloud dataset.

It now takes full resets of connections and sometimes removal of the Quicken Cloud dataset to recover from some situations.

Signature:
  • El Chupacabra
    El Chupacabra Member ✭✭
    Options

I like the mobile app for receipt entry on the go… otherwise I wouldn’t sync either.

Recovering an on-prem backup and overwriting the cloud data has worked… so far.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are a lot more courageous than I am. 😉 But in truth I just don't have a use for entering receipts on the go, so it is a "why even risk it" for me.

Signature: