Unable to reactivate online transaction updates following pw change at Coastal Federal Credit Union

Options

I have used Online Updates, Express Web Connect, with 4 accounts at Coastal Federal Credit Union for several years. I recently changed my pw to my Coastal Federal Credit Union online account. As advised by prior discussions, I deactivated Quicken online services to each account associated with Coastal Federal Credit Union (including looking for hidden accounts), and then attempted to reactivate online services. Using the login credentials for my Coastal Online banking, I attempt to reactivate online service, and receive an error, "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Coastal Federal Credit Union". Coastal Federal Credit union provides a manual transaction download option/process, but I'd prefer to restore the more automated online services. Any suggestions?

I am using Quicken R52.33. The issue started after I changed my online banking login password at Coastal Federal Credit Union.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

See the announcement, at the top of this forum, about Coastal Federal system outage

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    Options

Not sure what happened to my last reply, but Quicken's announcement on this topic is wrong, definitely misleading. The Digital Upgrade at CFCU was completed on 10/18/2023. Quicken's announcement (Ticket# 10533901 from Kristina) seems to state the upgrade will take 2 weeks. I contacted CFCU, and they are finished, it is up to Quicken to now adjust. Perhaps Quicken was quietly trying to imply it will take them 2 weeks to fix?

• rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    Options

So Quicken, if you are out there, how about an update on Coastal Federal Credit Union? I can't seem to reply to your announcement (Ticket# 10533901). Its been 5 full days and Quicken will not connect to CFCU.

• rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    Options

Why yes, there was a Digital Upgrade to Coastal Federal Credit Union on 10/18/2023, BUT… that update was completed on 10/18/2023. I am a member of that credit union and have contacted CFCU as was told that they are finished, and Quicken needs to now act.

The Quicken announcement from 10/17/2023 (Ticket# 10533901, From Kristina) is wrong, or most certainly misleading. CFCU does not have an outage that will take 2 weeks to complete. Perhaps Quicken was implying that they will take 2 weeks to respond.

So Quicken, if you are out there, can you please give us an update on your end? I can't seem to reply to your misleading broadcasts (Ticket# 10533901). But its been 5 full days now, and no one can connect.

Thank you, Bob Lawler

Quicken Kristina

• K_B
    K_B Member
    Options

I'm also unable to reactivate my accounts at CFCU

• keybordz
    keybordz Member ✭✭
    Options

Having the same issue as others described on here. I have not been able to Web Connect to my accounts since the Coastal upgrade.

• rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    Options

So I am finding that I can download transactions from Coastal Federal Credit Union now, but I cannot re-activate my savings account that I had deactivated in an attempt to fix things during theses past 2 weeks. In fact, I am unable to add any accounts from CFCU as the attempts fails with an error that says "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

So I take it accounts can no longer be added or re-activated from CFCU. It's been 12 days since the CFCU digital upgrade. This doesn't bode well for Quicken customers who are members of CFCU.

Quicken support, can we have an update, or at least an acknowledgement that this is a known problem that is getting the attention that it deserves? Thank you.

• ecoidan
    ecoidan Member ✭✭
    Options

Any update?? I have the same issue with syncing with Coastal Federal Credit Union!

• mjaquillard
    Options

I can't even download transactions into quicken…they are showing up w/ 1923 as the date. I tried to manually change the file (it does 2 digit dates) to 2023 but that didn't work. It's been a week+ now.

• gcmobley
    gcmobley Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Quicken Support. Your customers need an update on this thread. Everything stopped working with CFCU around when CFCU started their web site upgrade. At this point I get the infamous "blank screen" when QW is contacting CFCU or for the accounts I deactivated in an attempt to relink, I get QW's "unable to contact CFCU" so these accounts still cannot be re-added. Thanks.

• Tom Scanlan
    Tom Scanlan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. My last successful checking account download was Oct 16, 2023. As of today Nov 7, 2023, Coastal checking account still will not connect. Surprisingly, the savings account connects, does not give an error, and Quicken downloaded savings account interest payment on Oct 31. When I called Coastal, the rep said Quicken screen-scraping broke when Coastal updated their system. Hard to believe they are using screen scraping but that is what the rep said. The ball is in Quicken's court to fix the connection, It has been over 3 weeks now. Quicken posted this alert.

• bacastelli
    Options

This is crazy. Yesterday (11/7/2023)I was able to use both Empower and Tiller to download transactions from Coastal. Zero issues. Yet neither Quicken nor Simplifi can accomplish this. Why the delay?

• Lucy789
    Lucy789 Member
    Options

Can someone from Quicken please respond with an update on the issue mentioned in this thread?

It's been weeks since Coastal Federal Credit Union finished their update, and Quicken still won't connect and update any of my Coastal Federal Credit Union accounts. I am having to update my Coastal accounts manually. Is Quicken no longer compatible with Coastal? Do we need to switch to another personal finance management service? Please let us know.

• gcmobley
    gcmobley Member ✭✭
    Options

Mr. Tom Scanlan: I got the same "screen-scaping" information from CFCU support when I emailed weeks ago. I too simply cannot believe Q is using screen scraping to perform such vital linkages to sensitive financial accounts. If that's true, then it might be time we disable it completely. Secure APIs which are at least tracked / localized and validated by 2FA periodically is a must have. At least one other commercial bank I've used forces you to 2FA each time you do a Quicken Sync/Update which has proven to be quite annoying. CFCU, at one time required periodic "revalidations" maybe every 30-60 days… (IDK if that was the pattern) to where the OneStepUpdate / Sync would stop working until you confirmed the 2FA. Then if you re-linked the accounts or whatever that button is, it would prompt you to validate / 2FA via the phone #'s linked to your accounts. IDK if that's what's got things broken or not right now. Just yesterday, I was uable to update some CFCU accounts which I never touched in trying to fix this mess. The account I did touch, try remove and readd, still "cannot be found!" Quite a mess and quite frustrating to CFCU and Quicken customers.

• dwvaughn
    dwvaughn Member ✭✭
    Options

We are fast approaching one month that this hasn't worked. I know that Mint, which Intuit is about to shut down, was able to connect to the new CFCU site a week or two ago just fine. Another user reported that two other financial planning sites work just fine. So you have to wonder why it is taking Quicken so long to do something that competitive offerings have already figured out. I have started to explore other alternatives to Quicken and there are a lot of other choices.

The lack of communications from Quicken is the most frustrating. I got a bunch of emails about the new logo which I doubt anyone cares about. When a company is more focused on a logo than getting the product to work, that seems to be a pretty good indicator of where we are.

Either Quicken doesn't have enough staff to fix problems or there is something about the product that prevents them from fixing problems quickly. There has been an ongoing issue with Fidelity NetBenefits for months. Without any communications from Quicken, we are left to come to our own conclusions.

• TomArman
    TomArman Member
    Options

Quicken Support, Care to update us?

• Olderman
    Olderman Member
    Options

Quicken??? Are you breathing??? I just love the transparency.

• Gary7
    Gary7 Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Would Quicken Support please provide an update on the status of getting this fixed?

• keybordz
    keybordz Member ✭✭
    Options

It's at the point now to where I'm seriously looking into other options for personal finance software like Monarch. I've been a Quicken user since 2008 but customer service seems to have steadily declined in recent years.

• tonyoclayton
    Options

Oh dang, I just signed up today, now I see why I cannot connect my bank account.

Hmm… month long issue with no recent status update.

Spoke with tech support.

They said ongoing issue.

Gave me this link

• JHN2538
    JHN2538 Member
    Options

My last download from Coastal was mid-October. Seems each is blaming the other for not being able to download transactions. What is the problem with this. It is very annoying!

• dwvaughn
    dwvaughn Member ✭✭
    Options

Mint, which Intuit is getting ready to shut down, works with Coastal fine since the update. Another user in this thread reported that two other similar products also work fine. So if Quicken is blaming Coastal, you have to wonder if Quicken simply doesn't know how to fix the problem for whatever reason.

The silence from Quicken on this topic has been deafening, so we are all left to our own conclusions. Not being able to solve a problem for over a month that competitive products solved weeks ago is not a good look.

• gcmobley
    gcmobley Member ✭✭
    Options

Checking in again since 11/13 posts. CFCU remains broken 'unable to find accounts" and if you remove the account and try to re-add it, you get the same message. Unbelievable. If I did not loathe all the "non CU" banks in this area, I'd close move every account next week.

• Carol64
    Carol64 Member
    Options

I am so very frustrated. I have called quicken at least 10x (not exagerating) everyone is super nice but cannot help and blames cfcu. I don't know what to do

• rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got through a digital chat with Quicken support. I was told that this is an ongoing issue with CFCU, and that they (Quicken) have not heard back from CFCU. What?

When I also told them I was considering not renewing my yearly Quicken subscription, and looking elsewhere for my financial budgeting needs even if this issue is resolved, the rep responded with the following, and ended the chat:

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience and I am sorry we do not have
    any further steps to work on. Thank you for chatting with us today, I
    hope you and your family stay safe.

Time to look elsewhere folks. How many more months do we wait for a fix? Especially when we have prepaid for what clearly doesn't work any longer…

• Walter Ballard
    Options

I have bee having the same issue. Just got off the phone with Quicken Support, and after they verified the problem still exists, I was told they were working on correcting the problem and to look for an update on the Community page for an announcement when the problem is fixed. I hope they keep their word.

• Olderman
    Olderman Member
    Options

gcmobley, I also just got told by Coastal that Quicken is using screen scraping as the interface. I was flabbergasted. If that is true, then I have to wonder about the competence of he IP staff. (Yes that is "speculation" but with reason). Is there no defined API or data model? I am suppose to have a phone call with a Quicken executive tomorrow afternoon. Screen changes to the credit unions presentation, small or big, will cause issues.

Dave

• Olderman
    Olderman Member
    Options

I wrote this not to CFCU customer rep:

When I saw that the interface between was screen scraping I was taken aback. Quicken verified that this is the their method. No wonder when CFCU updated the way it displays financial data everything broke. This interface is as technically crude and as it gets and means anytime the CFCU twitched its display of info, Quicken will fail and users will suffer. I now understand why no one knows when humpy dumpty can be put back together again.

There needs to be stable api with a defined data model. It cries for a standards based solution across aggregators and all financial institutions. The current situation is ridiculous especially in this day and age.

• RetiringBito
    Options

Add one more to the list of annoyed CFCU users. While we can do manual downloads from the Coastal web site, it is a serious annoyance to be forced to do so because of what appears to be an antiquated and likely error-prone "page scraping" API.

Coastal's website (especially the bill pay) is just white-labeled 3rd party software. If CFCU and Quicken would actually joint troubleshoot, I bet they will find the the 3rd party provider has an API that is properly working on one of their other white-labeled clients and that Quicken can duplicate what they do to connect to the other client.

• Olderman
    Olderman Member
    Options

10 Weeks and counting with no fix. Amazing!

This discussion has been closed.