How do I add a GIC to my Retirement Account?

Options
TJTex
TJTex Member ✭✭

I have set up several of my retirement accounts in Quicken and have populated them with Securities but now I need to add the GICs I purchased. I don't see any option for 'buying' a GIC when I look at the 'Enter Transactions' in the account screen. I can see the options of Buying Shares and Buying Bonds but nothing like Buying GICs. Does anyone know how to best classify a GIC?

Best Answers

Answers

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You add a security but you choose to enter this security manualy. Then, you clic on security type and select GIC.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @TJTex,

To track a GIC, I would recommend following Arctic Hare's suggestion in this earlier discussion:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina and Arctic Hare. I tried using the search tool in community but it came up with noting so I had to ask the question.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Kristina, something is wrong. There is no such Security Type called GIC in my version of Quicken. Was that changed?

Using: Quicken Canada Version 52.28

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the screenshot pasted above, note the "Edit Types…" button. Click on that button and then click on the button labelled "New" in the bottom left corner. That will enable you to create the "GIC" security type. The list of security types is editable - you can add your own types, such as "GIC".

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all the help. Using your method I am finally able to get an Asset Allocation report that reflects my Equities and Fixed Income split.

One thing I did a little different when adding the GIC as a security was I used CD as the Security Type since a CD is somewhat similar to a GIC:

When I did that it automatically set the Asset Class to GICs:

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

One other tip on this is I "hide" each GIC security after it matures. That way I don't lose any records, but it no longer appears in the security list.

This discussion has been closed.