Charge & Payment Errors

Options
Dan Ryan
Dan Ryan Member

When entering charges in my visa account they are subtracting from my balance not adding to my balance. Same goes for payments they add to my balance not subtract as they should. How do i correct this

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

[edited]

In a credit card account it is normal for a charge to subtract from your balance, i.e. makes it more negative, and a payment to add to the balance. This is because with each charge you owe the card issuer more money.

Normally the balance in a credit card register will be negative (red). If the balance in a credit card register is positive (black), you may have paid more than you owe, or there may be missing or incorrect transactions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the Charges are subtracting, what is the color of the balance? It should be RED. If it isn't, you are in a positive balance situation which means there are either missing charges, extra payments or the Opening Balance of the register changed.

Credit Cards are generally in the RED, meaning you owe money, rarely, unless you overpaid a statement will they be in the black.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening. Or maybe you are missing some charges?

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card. Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned. When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it. And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance. If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken. I've been reading the opening balance might have got changed during an update or when syncing.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.