How can I recover from these major data fails?

Options
Timothy Gannon
Timothy Gannon Member ✭✭

Two days ago my quicken file would not open. I retried to open and the data that appeared was more than 2 years old. The most recent backup file was also 2 years old. I got a week-old backup file to open with only 11 recent transactions missing but several other unreconciled transactions missing. (The file I recovered had only reconciled transactions.) The online support could not help.

Any recommendations for a step-by-step recovery are appreciated.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Timothy Gannon,

To better assist you, could you please provide more details? When you tried to open your file, were you double clicking directly on the file, were you launching the program from the task bar, or opening via a different method? What method did you use when you had to retry?

Near the bottom of the Quicken File menu, just above the word exit, it lists the 4 most recent files you have been in (with the file you are currently in at the #1 spot). If you have opened 3 or fewer files while searching for your recent one, you may be able to get back to it by selecting it from the file menu.

If you are not able to access the file that way, but you recall the name of the file and where you had it stored on your computer, you can navigate to that location and double click on the file to open it.

If the previous methods don't work, you can go to File>Find Quicken Files and use that function to search for your files. By default, it will look in your Local C drive, but you can click the dropdown to change where it searches if you store your Quicken files elsewhere.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Timothy Gannon,

To better assist you, could you please provide more details? When you tried to open your file, were you double clicking directly on the file, were you launching the program from the task bar, or opening via a different method? What method did you use when you had to retry?

Near the bottom of the Quicken File menu, just above the word exit, it lists the 4 most recent files you have been in (with the file you are currently in at the #1 spot). If you have opened 3 or fewer files while searching for your recent one, you may be able to get back to it by selecting it from the file menu.

If you are not able to access the file that way, but you recall the name of the file and where you had it stored on your computer, you can navigate to that location and double click on the file to open it.

If the previous methods don't work, you can go to File>Find Quicken Files and use that function to search for your files. By default, it will look in your Local C drive, but you can click the dropdown to change where it searches if you store your Quicken files elsewhere.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Timothy Gannon
    Options

I will try your suggestions. I will let you know if they work. I usually open quicken from the short cut tile on my desktop. I single click. First attempt said the file was not available. Closed Quicken and tried again. Data came in but it was 2 years old. (2 years lost) Went to Hard drive backup and got the same result. Tried the next backup down and got most data back. I'll enter the 11 missing transactions and see if they stay. I'll also do a backup every time I close Quicken.

Thank you for the promsing leads.

• Timothy Gannon
    Options

The suggestions are working so far. One thing I found is that Quicken is backing my data into the cloud. I never intended this. I think part of the reason for the data loss was a disconnect from the cloud. The response had lots of useful information.

This discussion has been closed.