How do I change the date of the "Opening Cash Balance" Transaction?

Options
TJTex
TJTex Member ✭✭

I started setting up my RRSP accounts in Quicken. These need to be offline accounts as my financial institution does not support Quicken. I go through the steps of adding a brokerage account and not entering in any securities or cash in the account. In doing so Quicken sets up an initial transaction called "Opening Cash Balance" with an Action of "Deposit" and the amount set to 0. I accidently set up one of the accounts with today's date as the starting date for the account. When I try and edit the date Quicken complains that the "Investment Amount" can't be 0 or blank.

How do I get this fixed? I would rather not have to delete the account and start again.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @TJTex,

To better assist, could you please tell me which methods you have tried? When I test in my Quicken, I get the error when trying to edit the date directly through the register, but I don't get the error when I right click, select Edit, update the date through the edit dialogue box, then click the Enter/Done button.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried 2 methods.

Directly changing the date method does not work.

I then tried using the Edit Window dialog box method (look at the two images above those are for the Edit Window dialog box method). That clearly shows the same error. Now this is what is frustrating about Quicken, I can no longer replicate that error. Using the Edit Window dialog box method now works and I have no idea why as I struggled with this for an hour earlier today. In frustration I posted this question, closed Quicken and then took a break for a few hours.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Restarting the Quicken program does sometimes correct unexpected behaviors, so it is likely that closing Quicken and then coming back to it later is what got it to behave properly.

Were you able to correct the date on the Opening Cash Balance, or is it still giving you issues (just without the error message)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.