Account Actions Gear Icon Missing

Options
KSchmidt
KSchmidt Member

I opened up Quicken the other day and it installed an update. Now, the gear icon for account actions is missing on all accounts. Any ideas? Version R52.33 Build 27.1.52.33.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• KSchmidt
    KSchmidt Member
    Options

There was a gear icon there where there were several options, like transfer money between accounts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's a real puzzler … the Actions gear icon normally appears in the line with the bank account name, above the "+"-icon.

Have you tried hovering the mouse over the area just above the "+"-icon? Does this show a mini-popup "Actions …" or change the mouse pointer from an arrow to a hand icon? If it does, click the mouse. Does this bring up the Action popup?

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift+N … does this bring up the Action popup?
    If it does, but it doesn't also make the Action icon appear then try the following tasks:

• Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Start Quicken.
    • Does the Actions gear icon now show? If it does, skip the remaining tasks.
    • Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, contact Quicken Support for further assistance

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• KSchmidt
    KSchmidt Member
    Options

I really appreciate your help with this. The Ctrl+Shift+N does pop the menu up, but the gear icon is nowhere to be found. I tried everything else you suggested, but nothing. When manually installing the latest update, I did get an error about Windows system and icons, but didn't copy it. My subscription ran out on the 27th, and I wasn't planning to renew it for awhile, so reaching out to support isn't an option. I will keep messing with it as time allows. Thanks!

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Once you have the menu open via Ctrl-Shift-N, try the bottom menu item "Customize Action Bar" and click "Reset to Default" in the resulting dialog.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KSchmidt
    KSchmidt Member
    Options

Yeah, that didn't do it either.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When manually installing the latest update, I did get an error about Windows system and icons, but didn't copy it.

I think this indicates your problem. Try reinstalling Quicken. Record any error messages.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• IAmTheJudgeOfNoOne
    Options

I have the same problem and also refuse to renew my subscription every year, so mine just expired as well. Maybe they limit stuff to piss you off enough to pay up. I also noticed they still haven't fixed the Bills & Income issue where it defaults what is due in the next 14 days instead of what you changed it to. They also haven't fixed the Payee window. I get the whole list highlighted in blue instead of just the top one and if you arrow down you have no idea which one it is on so you have to click on the one you want. Maybe it is time to find a different accounting software…

• KSchmidt
    KSchmidt Member
    Options

I would definitely use something different if there were any decent options. I do not want, nor need my data in the cloud. Also don't want to pay monthly. My needs are simple, and I don't use most of the stuff in Quicken as it is.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Pay for what monthly? The price for Quicken is a one time annual renewal. They just list it at a monthly amount (I don't know why) But it says right below the monthly amount "Billed Annually".

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FYI, unless you resubscribe you will never see any fixes for the issues you mention. I understand why you might not want to resubscribe but just wanted to make sure that you know this.

And, yes, once your subscription expires your installation will not function as fully (mostly related to online services and downloads) as it does when the subscription is active. But perhaps the most irritating part of it for many people is that banner reminding you to resubscribe that takes up 20%-30% of the screen and cannot be removed without resubscribing.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Of all the alternatives to Quicken there is only one that I've found that is computer-based like Quicken is. But it is not as fully featured as Quicken and it is more expensive than Quicken is.

All other alternatives I've found are cloud-based with all your financial information and data saved there and are also not as fully featured as Quicken is.

So I would agree with you that there really aren't "any decent options" to Quicken at this time.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.