Reserve Funds

Options
Wiley Won
Wiley Won Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have a Vanguard investment account that shows 14 lots of "RESERVE FUNDS (HELD AT RESERVE) in Holdings, even though they all cancel each other out for a total of zero. The lots are all dated in 2007 and I can see the transactions where they were created n the register. I want them gone from my Holdings.

I have tried creating a sell (or remove) transaction, but Quicken will not allow me to specify lots, so it gets entered as a short sell. I don't want to erase the transactions that created the lots because they are reconciled and have historical value.

What else can I try?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In both the Holdings view and the Portfolio view there's a gear icon with a selection item, "Show closed lots".
    If that selection is checkmarked, securities for which you no longer hold any shares will be shown in the view. Click to remove the checkmark and zero shares items will not show.

• Wiley Won
    Wiley Won Member ✭✭
    Options

That is not the case here. These are lots that were never closed property. Some are to the positive and some are to the negative, all balancing out to zero shares.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

If they net to Zero, why can't you simply delete them?

AND you say that they're from 2017 … so who cares about them any more?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So you're talking about several different security names that should have been just one security instead?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If they were just “never closed properly”, I suggest you edit the transactions now to properly close them. Apparently you have some long positions and some short positions. The should be long positions and sales.

• Wiley Won
    Wiley Won Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm talking about 14 lots of the same "security". Long or short does not matter because this is a non-taxable retirement account.

Here's how it might have happened:

1. Quicken downloads an Add Shares transactions, let's say 40 shares.
    2. Quicken downloads a Remove Shares for 10 shares. But, Quicken isn't smart enough to sell from the only lot so it creates a Short Sell instead.
    3. User comes along and does an Update Share Balance to Zero. Quick creates another Short Sell for 30 shares.

Now we have three lots that cancel each other out. One for +40, one for -10, and one for -30. They total zero, but they still clutter up the Holdings.

How can I make them all disappear without throwing my balances out of whack or deleting any valid transaction history?

Like I said, I've tried creating a Remove Shares transaction to make them all go away. But, the "Specify Lots" button is grayed out. Why? Isn't that exactly why it exists? I'm beginning to wonder whether the "RESERVED FUND" that I'm entering is the same as the one I see in holdings. The names are identical but one has the symbol ZZZ00.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why would Q download an "Add Shares" for 40 shr unless your broker/fund sent such? IT WOULDN'T.

Why would Q download "Removes Shares" transactions, and why didn't you MATCH them to the prior Add Shares security? That's your responsibility … not Q's.

And if the securities are fictitious, how does deleting those transactions hurt anything?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.