Just heard, Intuit is shutting down Mint (at the end of the year).

Options
Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in The Water Cooler

You got to like the fact that they are pushing their customers towards Credit Karma instead of Quicken Simplifi according to the article I'm looking at.

Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Interesting! Here's an interesting perspective from the first product manager of Mint, before Intuit bought it in 2010 (and nearly wrecked Quicken, particularly Quicken Mac, in the process). He founded and manages a competitor to Quicken, and specifically Quicken Simplifi. It seems this would be a good time for a marketing barrage from Quicken to try to get Mint users to migrate to Simplifi.

What I wonder is whether this has any operational impact on Quicken. Specifically, Intuit's OFX connectivity unit used to support Quicken, Mint, and Quickbooks. Now they'll be down to Quickbooks. Is that enough to leave things unchanged in that unit, or is it something they'll cut back without Mint? When Quicken was young, Intuit was one of the pioneers of financial institution aggregation, but in more recent times, Plaid and other data aggregators have grown up to serve a wide variety of financial applications. I don't know enough about Intuit versus Plaid or other aggregators, but I wonder whether Quicken could ever change from Intuit to a different aggregator, either by choice or necessity?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Plaid or other aggregators, but I wonder whether Quicken could ever change from Intuit to a different aggregator, either by choice or necessity?

Not too long ago I was thinking about this, and I came to the conclusion that Quicken Inc's could move to another aggregator with not too much trouble with the exception maybe of Direct Connect (depending on how the other aggregator does it Direct Connect might have to be dropped).

When I look at Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect +/Quicken Connect one thing stands out to me. Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows no longer really have much an idea about where the data comes from. They are now getting their data from the Quicken Connection Services (QCS)/Quicken Cloud. It this service that is reaching out to the Intuit server using some unknown protocol(s) to get the actual data.

So, change the API there, and done.

Signature:
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You got to like the fact that they are pushing their customers towards Credit Karma instead of Quicken Simplifi according to the article I'm looking at.

They own Credit Karma, so not really surprising to me. From another discussion thread I read elsewhere it sounded like CK has some of the features of Mint but not all. It does seem like an opportunity for Quicken to poach some users.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, I didn't know that Intuit owns Credit Karma, then that make much more sense.

Signature:
  • Jon
    Options

They bought it about 3 years ago; I hadn't been aware it was owned by Intuit until recently.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Seems to me that Financial software is fast moving to web based…… I have been nosing around about AI and saw this….. interesting…… Am looking into this and the supporting financial software. BIG Consideration is the aggrigation and institutions supported…. I'm not trying to promote any product but just showing AI is getting into the frey…… If the link is out of bounds please let me know and I will delete it ….

https://www.monarchmoney.com/ai

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

just did a search - Intuit Mint - and lots of articles to read. Didn’t realize there are so many “checking & budgeting” programs out there… Tried YNAB awhile ago just to see - same with Simplifi now - just to see…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@retird The company you mentioned, Monarch, is headed by the original product manager for Mint. Monarch is what he and a bunch of the original Mint team moved on to shortly after Intuit acquired Mint in 2010. His views on Intuit setting down Mint are what I linked in the second post in this thread.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@jacobs

I just went back and read what you linked. Interesting that they are playing around with AI too….. AI is going to change a lot of stuff. The newest Windows 11 update (23H2) of a few days ago has AI they call "Copilot". From what little I've used AI is seems to be a game changer….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Jon
    Options

The original announcement over at Mint's blog was updated yesterday; it no longer says that Mint is shutting down at the end of the year, it's now "reimagining Mint as part of Credit Karma" with no specific timetable.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Gee, I've used Mint in the past. Was thinking 'might' drop Quicken & go back to Mint?? Jon added update on Mint, so IS it shutting down or not ;-) Main gripe I had about Mint was it would sometimes foul up categories, ads that weren't always the best choice, & of course being ONLINE. Seems to me though many of these Money Manager Software programs are all going ONLINE now though?? What do you lads or lassies think is the best and safest (as in SECURE) Money Manager other than Quicken?? I read the Monarch article. Seems that guy knows his business?? Guess all Money Manager's are going now the 'pay as you go' route?? Of course, I still like Quicken, after all, no product is perfect. Probably stay the course with them though in the long road, till they decide to do something out of line in my way of thinking :-)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It will be interesting how they use AI. If they are using it to make managing your money better that would probably be pretty good. If on the other hand someone gets it in their heads that it should be used to "fix the aggregation problem" by trying to be "more human" while logging in and getting transactions, that will be really bad. One has to always realize that these things are available to the bad guys too. As such, if the financial institutions don't settle on a "non-human" secure protocol like OFX or FDX there will be the same "war" between trying to secure the financial institution websites and trying to play like a user using a server like Intuit's (or other aggregators doing the same).

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are exactly on point. AI is already causing some problems. Seems there is already documentation that the crooks are committing cyber crimes… SAD

Hopefully AI could only be used within the bounds of the program to help one manage one's finances.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here are a couple of videos for alternatives to Mint and how to export your transactions from Mint to a new provider.

Mint.com Is Closing--Here Are The 5 Best Alternatives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cjuyo-hvs

How To Export Your Mint Transactions And Migrate Them To A New Budgeting App:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONipBac_-I

This discussion has been closed.