Why is 'Move Transaction' grayed out?

Options
majorgear
majorgear Member ✭✭

I'm trying to move transactions, including deposits and transfers, from a linked checking account into an offline checking account, but the "move transaction(s)" option is grayed out. I can do other things, such as copy, cut , and paste, but not "move".

Help!

Quicken for Windows version R52.33

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can confirm that this is the case, and you won't be able to use move in that kind of account.

I'm not sure why they did this, or if it was just an oversight, but I will say that the linked checking accounts are "special".

They are basically "virtual accounts" tied to the investment account. Transactions come in the investment account and if they affect the cash balance, they are routed to the linked checking account. So, maybe it has something to do with that.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can confirm that this is the case, and you won't be able to use move in that kind of account.

I'm not sure why they did this, or if it was just an oversight, but I will say that the linked checking accounts are "special".

They are basically "virtual accounts" tied to the investment account. Transactions come in the investment account and if they affect the cash balance, they are routed to the linked checking account. So, maybe it has something to do with that.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you say "linked checking account" are you referring to the situation where cash in an investment account is shown in a separate checking account instead of in the investment account register?

If that is the case then the Move function (along with some others) cannot be completed there because the cash is not really in that separate checking account. It is instead, really still in the investment account. It's just that you have opted to have that cash shown (not really held) in that separate checking account.

If you really want to move that cash into a manual checking account, I believe you will need to go to Account Details (of the investment account) > General tab > select No for Show cash in a checking account. This will then move the cash transactions shown in that separate checking account back into the investment account.

Once the cash transactions are shown, again, in the investment account you can edit each appropriate cash-related transaction in your investment account to transfer the cash into (or out of) that manual checking account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alternately, you could leave the separate checking account in place and simply enter cash transfer transactions from that checking account to the manual checking account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• majorgear
    majorgear Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I used the cut/paste to move transactions to the manual account, and then got rid of the brokerage-linked checking account.

This discussion has been closed.