Ally bank some download accounts in half-zombie status

Options
Jeepien
Jeepien Member ✭✭

I’m having trouble with my Ally checking account.  I have several other accounts, but the problem is limited to this one.  [Now, problem is spreading; see below]

When I click the register menu to Update Now, the One Step Update Settings dialog box opens, but there is no checkbox for [x] Allybank (i.e., no check boxes at all), and the [Update Now] button is grayed out.   So I could not update this single account.

But when doing a full update for all accounts, the transactions were properly downloaded!

I attempted to fix this by Resetting the account.  It asked me for my credentials, checked Ally for my accounts, but the checking account was not listed.   It’s there just fine on the Ally website.  The other accounts are shown, and properly indicate Do Not Link, since they are already linked.

So now, this account has become unlinked from online access, so it is no longer updating when running a full one-step update on all accounts.  No error messages of any kind along the way.

BREAKING NEWS:

This is spreading to other Ally accounts.  Several more are now showing the same symptom: Cannot update individually, no check box, button grayed out.   I hesitate to try resetting these, obviously.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Jeepien,

To assist with this issue, would you please provide more information? When did you first notice this issue? Have you restarted Quicken since the issue started? Have you restarted your computer since the issue started? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jeepien
    Jeepien Member ✭✭
    Options

I first noticed it a couple of weeks back.

I have restarted Quicken, and restarted my computer since then, and the problem persists.

My Quicken files are all located on my local C: drive.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To check for file specific issues that may be causing this, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Jeepien
    Jeepien Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina,

I tried your suggestion. The validate found no errors, but since then I have been able to add the Ally checking account back into linked status.

But part of the problem still remains. When I click Update Now for this single account, I get the dialog box shown here:

This dialog should have a check box:

[✔️] AllyBank 🔑

as other accounts do, but as you can see, there is none, and the [Update Now] button is grayed out. Some of the Ally accounts have this symptom and others do not, but I am hesitant to poke the bear at this point, since at least all of them are updating if I use Update All.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear that part of the issue has been resolved.

If you wish to continue troubleshooting, I would recommend that you try restoring a backup from before this issue started (as long as you give that restored file a different name from your main file, it should not overwrite it), then test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Jeepien
    Jeepien Member ✭✭
    Options

Actually, I spoke too soon. I have not yet tried restoring a backup, but it seems that my Ally accounts are not updating after all.

When I do an One-Click update-all, the AllyBank institution is shown as selected; in the accounts bar, all the Ally accounts are shown with their swirly blue arrows, indicating that they are being updated, I get a green dot and Completed status on the One Step Update Status page. But when it all finishes, no transactions have been downloaded. Logging on to Ally.com shows that there are current transactions that should be sent.

Oddly, no error message of any kind is shown.

For some reason I have the impression that the online balance may have changed, but this could be a false memory.

This discussion has been closed.