Online update issue

Options
aLfGordon
aLfGordon Member ✭✭

I have a brokerage account which has been updating fine until a month ago. I do not get updates that need acceptance in the "Downloaded Transactions" section of the register. Rather they just show up in the register with a blue dot. They seem to ber coming from Fidelity otherwise fine - until today. Yesterday I bought some securities and they are in Fidelity, show settled, etc. There is no update to the register either in the DT section or the blue dot. All other Fidelity accounts are updating just fine. I initially tried to go into the account settings for that particular account and went int "Online Services" and "Reset Account". I get the following pop up warning:

"Account Fidelity XXXX cannot be reset because there are downloaded transactions that must be accepted into the account register or transaction list. Finish accepting the downloaded transactions and then try again."

What should I do?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @aLfGordon,

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend following the steps from this article:

Before you begin, please backup your Quicken file.

First, turn automatic entry off

1. Press Ctrl+A on the keyboard to bring up the Account List, then click the Edit button next to the affected account in the list.  
    2. In the Account Details window, click on the Online Services tab then click Automatic entry is
    3. Select No on the next dialog box and click OK
    4. Automatic entry should show as "Off" now.
    5. Click OK to close the Account Details window, then click Done on the Account List.
    6. Close Quicken, wait a few seconds, then re-open it. The transactions should appear upon re-opening Quicken.

Note: If you have multiple accounts affected by this issue, you can make the change outlined above to all the accounts at once by going to Edit > Preferences, then going to Downloaded transactions and unchecking the box next to Automatically add to banking registers.

Then, check the account register and Online Center

Quicken will show you downloaded transactions in multiple locations. The following information shows you how to check for downloaded transactions in the account register and Online Center.

1. Open the account register and select Downloaded Transactions at the bottom of the register.
      • If there are transactions listed, accept them to the register.
      • If there are not any transactions listed, proceed with the next step.
    2. Choose the Tools menu > Online Center.
    3. Select the appropriate financial institution and account.
    4. Select Transactions.
    5. If transactions are listed, click Compare to Register and accept the transactions.

Note: Compare to Register will display online payments on the initial screen. After accepting your online payments, click Continue, Next, or Done to see the rest of your downloaded transactions.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina, worked like a charm. Been around Quicken since the DOS days and feel I know a fair amount, you guys are the best. I now know that I know very little.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear that corrected the issue.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Just curious.

What does the "Automatic Entry" thing do the if you're not supposed to use it?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @aLfGordon,

What automatic entry does is it automatically puts newly downloaded transactions into your account register (with a blue dot next to the transaction(s) so you can tell it's new).

When automatic entry is off, the newly downloaded transactions populate in a section below the register for you to review/accept (you get a red flag next to the account name to show that there are transactions awaiting review).

You are able to use automatic entry. Turning it off and restarting Quicken is just a troubleshooting step for when Quicken says there are transactions, but you aren't seeing any. You should be able to turn automatic entry back on if you prefer to have the transactions automatically go into your register.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.