schwab import

Options
Jim68
Jim68 Member ✭✭

Quicken stopped importing, as part of the overall import, a couple monthly transactions that Schwab refers to as a "journal". this goes back to Q1 of 2022 when quicken did import prior to that. so these journals are not showing up after doing my imports. thank you

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Jim68,

To help you with this issue, could you please provide more information? When you say import, do you mean that you're downloading a file from Schwab and then importing that file into Quicken? If that is what you mean, then this article can help you troubleshoot the issue.

If that is not what you mean, then what process are you using? Do you have your Schwab account(s) set up to download into Quicken when you run One Step Update? Are you getting any error messages or error codes? If not, then what is happening?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim68
    Jim68 Member ✭✭
    Options

thank you for replying.

i am using one step update. i update usually once per week from schwab, which has numerous transactions. The two transactions in question, usually happen once per month. Schwab labels them as "journal entry" transactions and they post to cash and not individual securities/mutual funds. i noticed my "cash" account in Quicken vs Schwab was off so i investigated. Prior to around March of 2022 these " journal entry" were imported into quicken and showed up correctly. quicken renamed them as "deposits". Schwab suggested contacting quicken. after reading your email, it dawned on me that i can download a data file from Schwab (outside of quicken) to see if those transactions are even there. of course this presumes that the data in the manual download process is the same data quicken gets doing one step update. no error codes or anything. all balances in funds and accounts in quicken match Schwab, other than cash. ok, i just tried. when dowloading Schwab to Excel (csv) the data is there. the one oddity is the "date" field for these transactions is, as an example, "10/27/2023 as of 10/26/2023". maybe quicken gets confused as to what date? i couldnt easily see how to export as a quicken file, which i guess if did, it might be encrypted anyway. any ideas would be appreciated. thank you

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Not all financial institutions offer the option to download files in the .QFX format. If you're not seeing the option on Schwab's site, they may not offer it.

For further assistance troubleshooting the issue with "journal entry" transactions, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly, as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Based on what's been said so far, I don't have any useful insights into why some Schwab transactions appear not to be downloading. But I think it might help if the original poster supplied some more information.

First: It would be good to know exactly what real-world event those Schwab "journal entry" transactions represent. 
    Second: Exactly how are those "journal entry" transactions represented at
    Schwab (at their web site and/or their statements)?.  
    Third: In 2022 (I believe), Schwab switched their "Connection Method" from Direct Connect (DC) to Express Web Connect+ (EWC+). It might help to know if the original poster's Schwab transactions started going missing only after the original poster switched to EWC+.
    Fourth: Are any Schwab transactions manually entered? Fifth: Are downloaded Schwab investment transactions being "Automatically added" to Quicken? See the Online Services tab of the Edit Account Details dialog for the account - look for "Automatic entry is:". Sixth: Does the Quicken Schwab investment account have a Quicken "linked" checking account?

In both DC and EWC+ downloads, the initial processing (the selection, formatting and sending) of downloaded transactions is done by the financial institution. 

To my knowledge, Quicken does not "rename" (or conceptually modify) any downloaded transactions. Quicken does not have a "journal entry" transaction-type, so would have no way to know what to do with one. I believe the "journal entry" transactions that used to successfully download from Schwab had to have been changed from "journal entry" to "deposit" upstream from Quicken. Leading me to believe that the cause of the missing transactions is also upstream from Quicken. And if that's true, I think only Schwab, or Intuit, could address the problem.

[The process that creates EWC+ files at Schwab is totally different from the process that creates .CSV files at Schwab. No reason to believe the files they create will match one another, since .CSV transaction files have no standards controlling formatting for downloading to personal financial software like Quicken. Offhand, I don't know of any personal financial software that imports transactions from .CSV files.]

"the one oddity is the "date" field for these transactions is, as an example, "10/27/2023 as of 10/26/2023". maybe quicken gets confused as to what date?"

Quicken doesn't get "confused as to what date" because only one date is downloaded to Quicken, and that date is chosen by the financial institution (only the .CSV file will have both those dates). In the provided example, the 10/26/2023 date (the "as of" date) is the ending date of the period for which the interest is computed (you should see the start and end date of the interest period in the .CSV file "Description" column); the 10/27/2023 is the date the transaction was posted, which is the date Quicken receives. The difference between the "transaction date" and the "as of date" may be greater than one day, depending on when the interest is actually posted (weekends or holidays may be involved).

I get downloaded Schwab investment transactions for 'Bank Interest'. At the Schwab web site those transactions have a 'Description' in the form, 'BANK INT 081623-091523 SCHWAB BANK'. Quicken sees only a date of 09/16/23 (or later) as the investment transaction date. In other words, the Quicken transaction gets a transaction date one, or more, days after the end of the interest period.

[Also: appropriately placed white space in posts is very beneficial for readability.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.