Penalty for Loyalty

Options
user17881
user17881 Member ✭✭

I am paying about $60 to renew my Quicken Deluxe

Classic. If I let my subscription lapse, and sign up as a NEW customer, Quicken discounts it to about $36 per year.

This PENALIZES, instead of REWARDS, loyal continuing customers.

Bad policy, Quicken! Please reward me for my loyalty (Quicken user since 1995!)

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Watch out for what you ask for, they are liable to raise the base price to offer the loyalty discount.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the last 3 years, I bought a one-year Quicken Deluxe subscription for about $40 from Staples on a black Friday sale.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This topic comes up very frequently on this forum. Vast majority of subscription businesses operate the same way where they offer discounted rate to attract new customers only. Think ISPs and cable TV where a new customer can save over $100 per month over an existing customer! As well as magazines, streaming services, antivirus products, etc. And as the previous comment mentioned, you can also find good Quicken deals for existing customers a few times a year.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• user17881
    user17881 Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the comments from all you.

My rebuttal is that just because many companies do this "discount for new customers, no discount for loyal customers" doesn't make it a good business practice.

As you are aware, for ISPs and cable companies, many have a loyalty department where loyal customers can call in and ask for promotional or discount rates. Although I resent having to call in to get what my loyalty should have earned me automatically, at least there is some benefit there for me when I ask. I haven't found that department at Quicken.

Thank you all for your courteous and thoughtful comments.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Whereas I do agree with you that I consider it a bad business practice, I also recognized that for most part the people that would be compelled to use Quicken really don't have much choice in the market, and so they can get away with such practices, and they don't see much benefit in changing that.

But here is another way to look at it. They want new business, so they give a discount to new users. They want to keep existing customers, so then give them a discount. That would result in everyone paying the same amount, so no one would really get a discount.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

also be aware - that those discounted prices are only for a NEW USERID (new email address never registered with Quicken)

So - even if your subscription expires - you will not be considered a "new" customer, unless you use a "new" email address User ID -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

For what it is worth, for a while now I have been using TurboTax which has the "free Starter edition 1 year subscription" included. At times I have wanted to use this just so that I could test what was available in the Starter edition to help people here. Well, what they don't tell you in the TurboTax blurb is that it is for "new users". So, it is the same game. And what I did is just use a different email account, and when opening the older data file, just log out and back in with the new email address that is connected to the new free subscription. What is the result? Basically, one should assume that you will be resetting up all the connection services, even though you might get lucky and some just work.

Given that this was just a "test file" it wasn't much of a deal for me, well until lately.

The system has gotten a whole lot more complex and fragile. I'm getting more and more gun shy on testing anything outside of what I would normally do, because I'm seeing things that I wouldn't think should interact, affect my main data file. I'm thinking that I won't do this with the Starter edition this year. Most likely nothing much has changed in what is available anyways.

Quicken is no longer the "vital" software it used to be for me. This is mostly because of my current financial institution and not really any change in Quicken. So, in reality I probably shouldn't worry about it messing up my data file test/help people, but it does still "bother" me a bit when these things happen.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Or you can simply purchase the frequently discounted offers at Staples, Newegg, OfficeDepot, BestBuy, Amazon, Walmart etc. When you combine all these, you can find a deal once a quarter. And I am not referring to the package/fine print labeled "for new subscribers only", rather the one available to anyone.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.