Sticky Mouse

Options
billflyer
billflyer Member ✭✭

I just replaced an old Microsoft wireless mouse with a new Logitech wireless mouse (M310). It works perfectly, EXCEPT in my Banking accounts. When I move into the transactions area of any bank account, the pointer sticks and moves erratically, such that I cannot navigate. I have closed and re-opened Quicken, updated the mouse driver, disabled the mouse's "Scroll Inactive Windows" and "Enhanced Pointer Precision" features. The mouse works perfectly in every other area of Quicken, including the transactions areas of investment accounts. The mouse pointer also works normally in the periphery of bank account screens: account list, drop-down menus at the top (File, Edit, View, Tools, Etc.) and Quicken tabs (Home, Spending, Bills & Income, Etc.)

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@billflyer There is a known issue when using 1-line banking registers. Simply moving the mouse around the register causes disk writes. No one knows why. If you are using 1-line registers, try switching to 2-line registers (press CTRL-2) and see whether the issue resolves.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm guessing you are using the Logitech driver. Using the manufacture's driver can include extra features, like programming buttons and such, but it also ups the chance of incompatibilities, and Quicken seems to be a magnet for these.

I'm using the Logitech 510 (wireless), but I don't think the model has anything to do with it. I don't have the Logitech drivers installed. Instead, I just let Windows pick the default mouse driver.

And I do have "Enhance pointer precision" on, but "Scroll Inactive Windows" is a Logitech driver only feature.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your response. My "Mouse Properties" are all identical to yours, including Microsoft driver and version number. I just tried a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, and it acts the same way.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm. Very strange. I don't know what the difference would be then.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Options

@billflyer There is a known issue when using 1-line banking registers. Simply moving the mouse around the register causes disk writes. No one knows why. If you are using 1-line registers, try switching to 2-line registers (press CTRL-2) and see whether the issue resolves.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, that "fixed" it. Thanks very much! Since this is a known issue, do you know if Quicken has it on their "to do" list?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have no access to their to-do list, but I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge, literally no one knows why mouse movement causes Quicken to write to disk in 1-line registers.

• billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    Options

I really hate it when a company says, in effect, "suck it up." We're paying them for a product with a defect. Here's a clue, Quicken… it's got something to do with newer wireless mice. My 20-year-old Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse (with a red laser and a corded, mouse-size receiver) worked perfectly. Nothing personal, Rocket; I just had to vent.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now that you mention it, I remember this bug being discussed. Guess what?

It has never happened for me.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited November 2023
    Options

Here is the original thread from 2020. A user noticed this because his mechanical spinning HDD made noise. I never noticed it because I have always preferred 2-line registers. And my current PCs both have SSDs. If I look at the PC's "disk activity" light, I can see it occur in 1-line mode.

Quicken is not saying "suck it up." To me, that implies they choose not to fix it. I believe the reality is they have absolutely no idea what causes it or how to even approach fixing it. I believe the last we heard from them was "sorry, no clue". I wonder whether they ever even created a ticket and entered this into their bug tracking system. It couldn't hurt to "Report A Problem"…

• billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks.

To me, this sounds like an issue with the application language (Java, C, Clarion, Python, Etc.). Quicken should talk to their language developer.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't very important. I'm an old guy; sometimes a GRUMPY old guy!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty sure they are using C++ and maybe some C#, but no matter what the language, it would be extremely rare that a developer knows anything about the details of the mouse. That is the job of the underline APIs and drivers.

That is one of the main reasons a problem like this is hard to pin down, and the other is the very fact that it doesn't affect everyone or even "every mouse type".

What is most likely happening to cause the problem is some really old code calling some really old API that is "flaky".

Signature:
  • billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Chris. You obviously know more about these things than I do. I know just enough to be dangerous! I guess my point is, SOMEBODY must have the expertise to troubleshoot this. If I was Mr. Quicken, I'd want to try to find that person.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it worth I realized I had another kind of mouse that I got for use with an iPad because it has Bluetooth and Wifi. So, I tried it and Quicken works fine with it too. Given that this is using the same driver for yours and my mice, I'm at a loss to figure out what the trigger for the 1 line mode problem is.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.