Cannot access Quicken servers

Options
JoeQckn
JoeQckn Member ✭✭

I have been using Quicken 2016 Home and Business for several years. I'm currently running R19.5. About a week ago, I started having issues with anything that attempts to connect to Quicken servers.

If I select Help - Check for Updates, it gives me a pop-up saying, "We are unable to contact the Quicken server. Please check your internet connectivity and try again. If the problem persists, try again later."

If I select the option to Update Quotes, I now get a pop-up window with the title, "Enter Quicken ID Password," but the pop-up window is just blank. All I can do is close it. Then I get the message, "Quicken's Online service is unavailable at this time. Please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I'm running Windows 10. I'm not using a VPN. I tried turning off the firewall in Windows Defender, but it didn't matter. I would appreciate assistance. Thank you.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2016 is too old to connect to Quicken or any online services. Unless you have upgraded to a current subscription version.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JoeQckn
    JoeQckn Member ✭✭
    Options

Did it just recently become too old? It was working fine until about a week ago. The only service I use is to get updated price quotes for my investments.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QW2016 has not been supported for anything online (download/updates) since April 2019.

So, anything that you might have gotten since that date was pure luck.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JoeQckn
    JoeQckn Member ✭✭
    Options

OK, thank you. I have an alternative process to generate a CSV file with stock quotes, which Quicken allows me to import, so I'm OK with using Quicken as a stand-alone product.

Do you have any suggestions to make QW2016 stop trying to spontaneously communicate to servers that it can't reach? Just yesterday, it started generating two pop-up windows at startup. Both windows have the title, "Enter Quicken ID Password," but the windows are completely blank. So far, I'm still able to close these two non-functioning windows and use Quicken normally.

On a possibly related note, there is an icon at the bottom of the program, stating that I have two notifications:

The notification states that I have "migrated to the new Quicken ID," although I don't recall doing that. I would like to get to something with a stable behavior. I appreciate the feedback you have offered.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've got no advice on getting rid of the pop-up.

The one thing I do know is that you do NOT want to try re-installing Quicken because that will fail because there is no active server to respond to it for registration.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried starting Quicken with the network adapter disabled or if using a lap top, in airplane mode?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JoeQckn
    JoeQckn Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried starting in airplane mode, and that didn't help. I still get the same two pop-ups, but they have a message on them to check my internet connection.

• JoeQckn
    JoeQckn Member ✭✭
    Options

That makes sense. I read someplace to try going to Edit - Preferences and sign out and then sign back in. That really didn't help. I was able to sign out, but I couldn't sign back in, and that basically corrupted my Quicken data file. Fortunately, I was able to restore from backup and get back to where I started.

If I understand correctly, this means that when I have to replace my current PC, my Quicken will stop working completely. I guess I need to give some thought to an alternative approach to tracking my investments.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The notification states that I have "migrated to the new Quicken ID," although I don't recall doing that.

Most likely it was initiated automatically when it contacted the Quicken server.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.