The login screens and "Report a problem" overlays do not work, for me

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I just reinstalled Quicken in hopes of resolving some issues (mainly, it's so slow I don't even want to deal with my finances, anymore). On reinstallation, I had to log in with my Quicken ID. Those overlay screens (which appear to be browser based?) AND the screen "Report a problem" from within Quicken both do NOT function correctly, for me. I'm able to get through the login screens by repeatedly tabbing until I see the fields and buttons highlighted, then I use my Enter key. My mouse does not seem to be recognized on the login screens. And the "Report a problem" function has not worked for me for years - I thought it was locking up Quicken and never sending my report - and I realized tonight that there's a "Close" button that I never see (tonight, I tabbed on that screen, too, after getting the "thank you" prompt, and that's when the Close button appeared). (I don't know if my issue was actually submitted, as I never receive any feedback from Quicken when I try to use this.)

Anyone else notice this, or does Quicken just hate me?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @EmKay,

In order to better assist you further, could you please provide a screenshot of the login screen you say is overlaying other screens? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

Well, I think that that login screen only comes up (for me) after reinstallation of the software, and I'm not going through that again!

And I don't really want to bring up the "Report a Problem" screen, anymore, since it often requires a task-manager shutdown of Quicken, afterwards.

The screen I'm talking about, that comes up after installation, asks for my Quicken ID and, on the next screen, my Quicken account password.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bumping - no one else has issues with these screens?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

I haven't been able to replicate the issue you describe. Which operating system do you use (Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11, something else)? Do you run Quicken from the computer directly, or do you run it in a virtual machine? Do you run Quicken on more than one device? If you do, does this issue persist across all devices, or happen just on one? Did this issue start after the most recent reinstall, or was it one of the problems you were hoping to fix with the reinstall?

To get the login screen without going through the uninstall/reinstall process, you can log out of Quicken by going to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts, the click on the blue Sign in as a different user link.

When the confirmation window comes up, you would type "yes", then click the Sign Out button. Once Quicken finishes logging you out, it should bring you back to the login screen. Being able to see a screenshot of what it is doing would help us to better assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm on Windows 10 Home, I run Quicken directly from the computer, on only one device. The problem has existed for a LONG time and is one I hoped would be fixed with the reinstall.

Well, this screenshot is kind of weird, because the Login screen is white overlaying my white Quicken background. If I try to click the Quicken ID field, I see NO cursor, and the field turns red and warns me to enter an email address (which is what I'm trying to do!). If I start typing, I see nothing. I have to hit the <Tab> key until I see the cursor in the field. I type my Quicken ID and, if I again try to use my mouse to click the Continue button, nothing happens. I have to hit the <Tab> key again until Continue has a bolded border, then I hit <Enter.> Exact same behavior when trying to enter my password. It took me a while to figure out that I had to handle the screen entries this way. I'm attaching screen shots of the login screen AND the "Report a Problem" closure issue.

Here's the "Report a problem" when the problem appears to have been sent (though I never receive a response or update):

And the same screen when I finally figure out that I have to <Tab> to find the "Close" button:

I can't imagine that the screen is supposed to have these floating messages and buttons!

I just noticed that the "About Quicken" popup also behaves badly, requiring that I <Tab> to the X in the upper right and hit enter. If I try to mouse-click that X, the popup disappears from view but is actually still on top of Quicken, which is not accessible until I get the popup to close.

Hope this helps. This problem has existed for me through MANY versions of the software.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

From what you describe, this could be a file specific issue, or possibly something specific to your device. To help narrow down which is the most likely cause, does this issue with the login and report a problem overlays persist across all of your Quicken data files, or does it happen in just this one file?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

Sorry - again - for the delay. I only have one Quicken data file. Do I need to create a new one and manually enter a few sample transactions into it, to see if the screens look the same?

And - are you saying that the screen shots I submitted are NOT what those screens "should" look like?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My first guess would be a display problem. What is your screen resolution and Windows scaling factor, @EmKay ?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Resolution has been messed with repeatedly, to solve other (report previewing) issues, to no avail. It's currently 3480x2160, with scaling @ 250% - both are the Windows-recommended settings.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have an old monitor at 1920x1080 @125% and Quicken likes that (although it would prefer 100%). Have you tried the experiment of temporarily reducing resolution & scaling down to a low level like that? If that looks better, you can at least rule out data file issues.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina and @Rocket J Squirrel - I finally got around to lowering my display resolution. It's not really a solution as it screws up many of my other applications (all of which work fine at the higher res) but it did make the "Report a Problem" screen work a LITTLE better (the drop-downs worked as they should) - but still, at submission, parts of the dialog were obscured and I had to use the Enter key to close the screen, rather than my mouse.

So - does this point to an issue with my data file (which seems weird - why would my data affect my screen display?) and, if so - how do I fix it? Validation shows no issues with my data file.

This discussion has been closed.