Security detail of bond fund shows the Cost Basis rather than the Market Value?

Options

If I pull up the security detail view for a bond fund that I own, and select market value from the pull-down menu, it shows me the cost basis over time, not the market value. And in the My Holdings box in the upper left, it shows a value that is close to the cost basis (but not exactly the same) next to the Market Value label. Another number is shown next to the Cost Basis label, that I don't believe is correct (and doesn't match what's shown on the investment summary page. What is going on here?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which bond fund is it (the ticker would be helpful)?

On the Security Detail for that fund, click on More and then on Edit Price History. Does it show the daily historical prices?

Are the dividends you receive from this fund being reinvested? If so, that will impact your cost basis.

Would it be possible to take screenshot of what you are seeing in Security Details and then post it here? To do this you can try Print Screen or Snip It and then save it as a file. Copy the file (Cntrl+C) and paste it (Cntrl+V) in your reply post. Or you can click on the paper clip at the lower left of the "Leave a Comment" field, maneuver to where the picture file was save and select it there.

You can read more about how to post screenshots in this FAQ:

(Once you get enough points accumulated you will be able to post the actual picture and not need to attach the picture file but since you are new to Community you will need to post the picture file as an attachment. You will gain points for activity in Community…such as starting a discussion, replying to posts, liking other peoples posts, etc. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can start posting pictures in your posts once you've accumulated 50 points.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

which bond fund -
    what is the symbol - or are you manually tracking this holding ?
    How is this held - what kind of brokerage/savings account -
    How setup in Quicken - AND… are you looking at the Security Detail screen as shown below ?
    Where are you seeing your screens… QWin, QMac, QApp, QWeb - as I see no "pull down menu" for Market Value ?
    If I pull up the security detail view for a bond fund that I own, and select market value from the pull-down menu…

Here is one of my Bond funds held in my Fidelity account -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• imnobodywhoareyou
    Options

@Ps56k2 @Boatnmaniac

Ok, I think I figured out what's happening. I own this fund in two different accounts. The Security Detail view sums everything together across accounts, even when you click on it from within one account, which is why the market value was so much higher than what I was expecting to see. It just so happened that the cost basis in the account I was looking at was very close to the market value across all accounts, so I thought it was swapping them. I think I'm in good shape now. Thanks for taking the time to help!

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm glad you got it figured out and thanks for letting us know. Your explanation is reasonable and logical. Good to know it is not a Quicken issue.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.