Quicken Freezes on Account Reset

Options
Geobrick
Geobrick Member ✭✭✭

[Update: This seems to be related to the etrade problem several others are having today. That's why I attempted an account reset.]

Quicken locks up when I try to reset online access for an existing account.

After clicking reset, quicken presents this prompt window but there is nothing in it.

Clicking outside the prompt window causes a error tone. There's no way out of this without killing quicken in the task manager. Clicking more info or the other nondescript box does nothing. Hitting enter while clicked inside the box does nothing. Clicking the X on the window does nothing and hitting escape does nothing.

Quicken Version: Premier R52.33 build 27.1.52.33

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Geobrick,

It sounds like you could be experiencing a data file issue.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, but I think it was related to the etrade issues that were going on at the time. It was not a crash but more like quicken was in a state where it was waiting on something from E*Trade that was not coming in and there was nothing in the programming that ever anticipated that situation so it just sat there waiting. It seems better now that E*Trade updates are working again (as of last night)

If it happens again, I will try your solution.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Turns out I do have a single "Damaged data block" listed in the validate/repair log.

I don't know what it impacts because everything seems to be working well but I may need to do something about it at some point. I'll open some older backups to see if I can find out when it started.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the followup,

The damaged data block could cause the freezing issue, and potentially cause other unexpected behaviors in your Quicken file. Please let us know if you're able to find a good backup that's still recent enough to be a viable solution.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The only backup I have without the damaged data block is a Quicken 2016 file from January 2017. So that won't help. Everything else dating back to 2021 have the damaged data block.

So far things are still working.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When you say that things are still working so far, does that mean that the issue with freezing during account reset seems to be resolved, or is that still happening?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please run this copy procedure:

- Make a copy of your data file:
    Click File / Copy or Backup File.
    Select Create a Copy or Template. Click Next.
    Do not change any Copy Option settings.
    Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.
    (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / Copy…
    When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".
    (On some systems, if SHIFT+CTRL doesn't get you the prompt, try just pressing and holding SHIFT)
    Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

This Copy process will reset all online bank connections. After verifying that the file is usable, for each bank download connection use Tools / Add Account to reactivate your accounts and make sure to LINK the accounts found at the bank to their correct account registers in Quicken.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The reset is working fine now. I think it was just something that happened the week when a lot of people were having problems downloading from Etrade. At that time I tried a reset and experienced the freeze. I've not seen anything like that since. Once my connections to etrade started working again, the reset worked fine.

I should say that I also had a RAM failure 3 days after posting about the freeze so it could easily have been caused by bad RAM and just happened to coincide with the etrade download problem that caused me to initiate the reset. It's more likely bad RAM caused the freeze.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I will try it and report back on the results.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, In my attempt to copy the file as instructed, I got a notice saying I'm not authorized to preform that task (something about credentials - I should have grabbed a screenshot). I could only select 'OK' on that message. After clicking OK, it began to copy. I'll go through the rest of the steps now.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, It worked!. Amazing!

The file with "14 damage data records" had no issues reported. I'll reconnect the accounts now then move on to my other file with the damaged data block.

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, I tried it with my much larger qdf file (275MB). It was the one with a damaged data block and it worked perfectly!

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

Thank you so much!

🙂

This discussion has been closed.