Want to use Quicken on 2 LapTops for 'summer home' and leave computer there;possible?

Options
Jeanine Schmidt
Jeanine Schmidt Member ✭✭

I use Windows 10 (for now; may get 11) and have Quicken Deluxe 2023. I don't to anything online so I don't care about online downloads from anywhere. Can I install my Quicken on a new laptop?

Does this question make sense…?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can install Quicken on a 2nd computer and share the data file between them. But you will need to somehow also transfer the data file back and forth between their hard drives. If you have not already done so you might want to read this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another.

One method for transferring the data file between the two computers is to backup your data file and then save that backup to a Cloud storage site such as Dropbox or OneDrive. Then you can download that backup data file to your hard drive on the other computer and restore it using Quicken. When you are done using that data file on that other computer you will follow this process in reverse so you will then be able to use it there.

Another method to use is to substitute a thumb drive, CD/DVD, other external drive or network drive for the Cloud storage site in this file transfer process. Again, move backup files, not the actual main data file.

One thing I would recommend against doing is to save and run your main data file on anything other than your local hard drive. To do so risks encountering odd/unexpected Quicken performance and/or data file corruption. IMO, encountering these risks if saving and running the main data file on anything other than the local hard drive is not so much a matter of if they will happen but when then will happen.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can install Quicken on a 2nd computer and share the data file between them. But you will need to somehow also transfer the data file back and forth between their hard drives. If you have not already done so you might want to read this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another.

One method for transferring the data file between the two computers is to backup your data file and then save that backup to a Cloud storage site such as Dropbox or OneDrive. Then you can download that backup data file to your hard drive on the other computer and restore it using Quicken. When you are done using that data file on that other computer you will follow this process in reverse so you will then be able to use it there.

Another method to use is to substitute a thumb drive, CD/DVD, other external drive or network drive for the Cloud storage site in this file transfer process. Again, move backup files, not the actual main data file.

One thing I would recommend against doing is to save and run your main data file on anything other than your local hard drive. To do so risks encountering odd/unexpected Quicken performance and/or data file corruption. IMO, encountering these risks if saving and running the main data file on anything other than the local hard drive is not so much a matter of if they will happen but when then will happen.

• Jeanine Schmidt
    Options

Thanks. I had downloaded some of that info; but, it good to here it works from a 'real person'. I could use some other 'free program'; but, Quicken has 'history'; and, I'm finally figuring out the reports I want.

• Jeanine Schmidt
    Options

You appear to me to be a 'trusted' source. I'm ready to purchase a new HP Envy Laptop…but, it has Windows 11. I've been reading so much about it working and not working. It appears that you did say it worked; but, would you please confirm that for November 2023. I'm just getting way too confused. I'd be using Quicken on my current Windows 10 computer as well as a new one with Windows 11. Would that be an issue…in your opinion? Thank you so much.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No issue with using Windows 10 & 11. You can install on Win11.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2023
    Options

My last boss before I retired used to frequently say about what others say: "Trust….but verify!" What I can tell you with 100% certainty is that I upgraded to Win 11 just over a year ago and I am not having any issues with Quicken that I've had because of that.

What I can say is when you do your setup on Win 11 on your new laptop make sure that you do not set it up for S mode. S mode is not compatible with Quicken (nor any other programs that cannot be downloaded from MS Store).

Others have posted pretty much the same thing that I just did. Here is one such thread:

Will passing a data file back an forth between Quicken installations on Win 10 and Win 11 be a problem?

Now that is an interesting and very good question. I don't recall seeing anyone ask it before.

I don't think it would be an issue but I cannot test it to verify that. There are some folks in this forum who do a lot more systems and software versions testing than what I can do so perhaps one of two of them will post their opinions on this subject here.

Is Quicken compatible with Win 11?

There have been some posts by others that they have encountered some issues with installing/running Quicken on Win 11 but one was because of a MS issue which I believe MS has resolved already. So, make sure when you set up your new system with Win 11 that it has the latest version installed.

The other issue is that it seems Win 11 tends to push Quicken data files (and other programs' files) into a folder that automatically syncs with OneDrive. I know this sometimes happens when doing an upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 (at least it did it to me). I do not know if this will be an issue with a brand new Win 11 system. BTW, I do view this as an issue with Win 11, not with Quicken, because it is something that affects more files than just Quicken files.

It is recommended that if you find the folder where your Quicken data file syncs with OneDrive that you move that data file to another folder that does not sync with OneDrive because it can cause undesired Quicken performance issues and can also cause corruption of the data file. I actually had set up a unique folder under My Documents called Quicken Files and saved my data files there. When that is done and you first open and run that data after that it will add the other necessary folders (including a folder for Backup files) in that same folder.

This discussion has been closed.