CIT Bank asking for two factor authentication every time now

Options

A few days ago, whenever I do an online banking update from Windows Quicken Classic, I have to get a login code (two factor authentication) for CIT Bank. This was a bug with the CIT Bank interaction with Quicken a year or so ago, but now seems to have recurred. I can work around by going through the two factor login everytime I do an online update, but it's a pain in the neck. I reported the problem to Quicken and to CIT Bank, but no fix so far. If anyone else has this problem, maybe more complaints would get some action.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @Jim Ostell,

You might need to call/navigate to the CIT Bank Website and enable third-party access (or something to that extent). One common cause of repeated 2FAs is that there is never an actual connection settled with the bank's servers causing every download to trigger as if it were a new account.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

This is happening to me as well. It all started when CIT redid their website. For a while, there was no access to CIT OSU and then it was restored with this issue since then

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @whodiini,

Thanks for joining this thread.

Have you reached out to CIT Bank yet to see if you need to enable third-party access to these accounts?

-Quicken Jasmine

• mikerdoo
    mikerdoo Member ✭✭
    Options

There are no settings available on the web site related to this. I just got off the phone with CIT technical support. They, of course, blame the Quicken system, which we know is incorrect since this all worked A MONTH AGO.

• mikerdoo
    mikerdoo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I reset all my accounts with CIT in Quicken, and while setting them back up, I chose the "CIT Bank" option rather than the "CIT New Login" option. After going through the process (which includes 1 or 2 2FA requests) it seems to be working now without asking me every time.

UPDATE Except it doesn't. Just tried a download and had a 2FA request. Need someone at CIT that understands programming to figure this out.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

We recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as an escalation may be in order.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• W Gibbs
    W Gibbs Member
    Options

I started having this problem as well on Nov. 14

• Jim Ostell
    Jim Ostell Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's still happening. There is no information on the CIT Bank website on this. I reported the problem to them, and they seem to think it's Quicken's problem. Any chance we could get this thread elevated to the "known issues/banking alerts" thread? This thread can be a little hard to find by search (it doesn't always come to the top). I bet if more people could readily find it, you'd get more people reporting this ongoing problem.

• miamitj
    miamitj Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this Jim - I am having the same issue.

• rajuabju
    rajuabju Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue is still unresolved. Every time I run an update, CIT Bank requires 2FA. There is no setting on CIT website about this issue, I spoke with their support team, they think its a Quicken related issue (of course they would), but who knows. Very annoying, would love to see this get resolved!!!

• Jon4
    Jon4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am getting the same 2FA request every time I load Quicken, but this time I did not have my phone with me so I canceled the request. Now Quicken is locked up. I guess it is waiting on the 2FA that I canceled. After 10 minutes now I know Quicken is dead. I'll kill it and reboot…..

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Jim Ostell
    Jim Ostell Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Jasmine, we really appreciate that you have escalated this. But I would comment that I have been sending "Report a Problem" reports like this every few days for more than 6 weeks on this problem, with no visible result. I gave up recently as a waste of my time, like I gave up calling the support line since they just put you through the activate/deactivate cycle that we already know doesn't fix the bug. I'll start "Report a Problem" again based on your suggestion, and hopefully someone in software will begin to admit there's a problem and actually do something about it. But it's discouraging to keep up reporting when there is zero action from a company to address it. And this is a regression bug (reappearance of an old problem) not even a new bug. Just sayin'.

• bmooreQ
    bmooreQ Member
    Options

Just to chime in, I'm also having the same issue. As mentioned, seems to have started when CIT revamped their website. Another huge annoyance is that imported transactions now only show up as either "ACH Debit" or "Credit" with no further description. I have to then log into CIT and look closer at the transactions so I can categorize them. Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been having this same issue ever since I signed up for CIT bank and tied it to Quicken. Twist: Today, when I tried a one step update, I got the box where CIT was asking me to have a text sent to my phone. I clicked and ok'd the text, but none ever came through. Tried this twice. Then rebooted Quicken and tried again. Can get to CIT online, but it will not update through Quicken. Requested text does not hit my phone to verify code. I'll try re-establishing link between Quicken and CIT tomorrow. Not today!

• Jim Ostell
    Jim Ostell Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I got the same problem Doug did now.. Instead of asking for the security code everytime, and then successfully logging in, start today it asks to send the text message, but then never sends it, reports it downloaded transactions, but then reports a CC-501 error. Wrong in so many new ways now. Quicken.. is this you attempting to fix it, or did it just get worse on it's own?

• sackboydad7669
    sackboydad7669 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same issue as of Jan 25th…. The popup comes to ask how you want to verify, but a text is never sent. It also happens with the other bank that now seems to always need 2FA… American Express. It also asks how you want the 2FA, but the set never gets sent. This is OBVIOUSLY a quicken problem… how could two different banks have their own 2FA texting messed up?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue with Bank of Oklahoma…. started 2 days ago…

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• werks
    werks Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

Same as above MFA does not work at all since the latest update.

This connection failed, and will not update:

CIT Bank Online(******) - Error FDP-1022 (CP_SERVER_ERROR -  Invalid credentials)

To retry the failed connection, you'll need to start a new update.

• whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I verified that with R54.9 (latest update), OSU was broken with CIT Bank and reported it with logs to Quicken. Today, R54.9 OSU works again with CIT Bank, albeit with the same OTP issue as previously. At least you can download with OSU CIT Bank transactions using the OTP.

• vpiccoli
    vpiccoli Member ✭✭
    Options

Does anyone have a solution or guidance on this yet? I'm still having the OTP request for CIT every time I run OSU. Running R54.16

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    Options

Irrelevant response deleted.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Jim Ostell
    Jim Ostell Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Please note, this thread has been about "CIT Bank" not about "CitiBank". That's a different bank.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim Ostell Well that is certainly my mistake. Sorry and thanks for clarifying.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

This discussion has been closed.