Is there a way to sign up for quicken without a US phone number?

Options
turngoat
turngoat Unconfirmed, Member
edited December 2023 in Before you Buy

I live in Central America (US citizen) and do not have a US phone number. Is there a way to enter an international number so I can sign up?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The Quicken website is only built for sales in the US and Canada. I'm not sure whether it would affect anything if you put in a fake US phone number. Alternatively, you could contact Quicken Support via their text chat service to see if they can enter a non-North America phone number for you.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To expand upon what @jacobs stated: I know there are people in Europe, Australia, Japan and South America who have ordered Quicken. I do not know how they were able to place their orders. But regardless of that, they are not able to download financial transactions from their local financial institutions because downloading transactions can only be done from US (and Canada) financial institutions. So if you are banking with financial institutions in Central America the only way you will be able to use Quicken is with manual entry of financial and transactions data.

Are you wanting to download Quicken Mac or Quicken Windows? If you are wanting Quicken Windows and if you are OK with manually managing the financials and transactions, you can download a free copy of Quicken Windows Deluxe from Quicken 2013 for Windows.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• turngoat
    turngoat Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I finally got through to chat and as I assumed you cannot sign up without a US or Canadian phone number. It's a strange policy as I'm a US citizen with US banks and US businesses. My options appear to be, try to find a cheap US number to receive texts or find a different product.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AFAIK, when setting up your account you can change the settings to receive security codes via email. If a phone number is required, fake it and try to use something like 415-555-1212 or any other phone number you can think of. The phone number will not be used if settings are to use email.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Being a US citizen doesn't provide much benefit when it comes to businesses. They serve specific geographic markets and anyone, US citizen or not, within those markets can buy their product or service. Quicken is no different in this regard.

I do agree that it is odd that they aren't set up to work with international phone numbers for texting since the cost for that is minuscule to non-existant, depending on the phone plan they sign up for. And, yes, I agree that they should be able to support you as a customer (with certain reasonable restrictions regarding live support) since you work with US financial institutions. Hopefully the suggestion by @UKR will work out for you.

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

note that if you are not using a US ISP address, you won't be able to log into quicker / access their servers to run updates if that is your plan. Quick will not be accessible if you are not in North America.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'd forgotten about that. I believe others outside of the US have gotten around this by using a VPN where they could select a US-based server. That's what I used to do when I would travel internationally for business. It allowed me to use Quicken from just about anywhere.

I use Windscribe when I need to use a VPN service and they make it very easy to select servers and there are many of them in the US to choose from. And Windscribe is free for up to 10GB of data per month. You can also get unlimited and faster VPN service starting at $1/month.

This discussion has been closed.