Quicken used my new credit card without my consent to renew my subscription

Options

When a new card was sent to be by the bank 4 months back, I updated quicken to enable the bank synchronization, but never updated my account profile, which still shows the old credit card as the method of payment. Yet, upon auto renewal, instead of failing the transaction, my new card was used. How is this possible? I thought my information was confidential and not to be used for anything other than providing and maintaining the One Step Update service. 

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only times I've seen something like that happen was:

• When the bank changed my card number for some reason other than fraud so old card number transactions continued to be processed by the bank for a while but those transactions were actually shifted over to the new card number….by the bank, not by the seller.
    • When I requested the bank to send me a card for my spouse and they sent a card with a new number for her but all the charges come through against my card number.

Regardless, this Community is a users forum and we users are not going to be able to tell you what happened or look into the matter. You should contact Quicken Support via Phone or Chat to address this: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't see any way that Quicken could obtain your new credit card and number and would even know that you changed credit cards. Perhaps you entered the information into your account and forgot?

If you no longer want to renew your subscription you can log in to your account, select manage subscription, and then select cancel subscription.

After your Quicken subscription is canceled, you will no longer receive updates to the Quicken application. However, you may continue to use the version of Quicken you had at the time your Membership expired to open your data files and, for Quicken Deluxe and above, continue to use Quicken in a manual mode.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Canceling the subscription cancels all online services including software updates and transactions and securities prices downloads.

Instead you might want to consider canceling just the subscription auto renewal. Canceling auto renewal will not impact your current subscription so you will continue to get software updates and will continue to be able to use all the online services (such as transactions and stock prices downloads) until your current subscription naturally expires. Then each year you will need to manually renew your subscription and select your payment method. Quicken will start to remind you to renew your subscription about 1-1/2 months before your subscription expires.

You can read more about how to cancel subscription auto renewal at

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@grap, if you look at your graphic, Q renewed using the OLD card number (look at the "Payment Info" line"). Meaning that the transaction was either accepted and transferred by your card company … or on it's way to rejection.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Grap
    Grap Member
    Options

3739 is my old card. It was used to purchase the license in 2021 and 2022. It is still showing as my only method of payment, but the card expired 3 months back. My new card is ending with 0187 and it was the one used by Q to proceed with the renewal today. The transaction is not being rejected by my bank since the card is valid. The only place where this card is register is in my quicken data, for the one step update. I guess I'll take it will their support team to understand how it ended up being used for my renewal. Thanks all for your input.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

why was a new card sent to you ?
    why did the number change ?

if there were no "problems" - I'm guessing any new charges against the old card would be "forwarded" to the new card -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.