Options
System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Duplicate Accounts downloaded

Comments

• Michael Putzel
    Options

For Quicken Kristina, I have a similar issue: My wife and I have had separate Quicken accounts for years, linked to our Wells Fargo bank accounts by separate usernames, although we have a joint savings account that shows up for each of us in Quicken. We recently decided to merge many of our expenses in Quicken and pay them from a joint checking account we set up to do that at Wells Fargo. I have spent hours combining our expense categories into a single set of expenses (leaving the old ones in place for fear of wrecking years of accounting records). How can we sync all our categories in both Quicken accounts? Thanks for your help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Michael Putzel,

To better assist you, could you please clarify what you mean by syncing all your categories in both Quicken accounts? Are you trying to update the categories in the older transactions that downloaded before you updated all your categories? Are you trying to get Quicken to put in the new categories when it downloads transactions?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Michael Putzel
    Options

Thanks for your questions, and I will try to clarify my objective: We now have all the categories we want to share, along with all my old, outdated categories, stored in my version of Quicken Classic for Mac Version 7.3.2 on my laptop. At the moment, my wife has her own set of categories (many more than I ever used) in Quicken for Mac on her laptop. In trying to simplify our lives, we went through both lists and agreed on the ones we actually intend to use going forward, identifying our income and expenses downloaded from our joint checking account. However, we don't want to delete the old categories because they still apply to years of records in Quicken, including data used in tax returns. Many of the "new" categories are the same as before, but there are fewer of them.

When I started this project, I thought we could just filter out the new, common categories on both computers, install them on both devices and learn to use only the shared categories going forward. Now, I find I can't filter out individual categories in order to display just the ones we want, and I don't know how to transfer my set of "new" categories from Quicken on my Mac to Quicken on her Mac. Am I trying to do the impossible? Is there a better way? Thank you for your thoughts and know-how.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2023
    Options

I don't know of any way to transfer categories from one Quicken file to another except to manually enter them by hand.

There's currently no way to stop Quicken from showing you the old categories that you no longer want to use. There's a suggestion to add that feature that's been marked as Planned, so we'll get it someday:

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.