R52.33 - Significant New Account/Update Problems

Options

Just wow.

Quicken is scrambling my Genisys and Chase credit cards. Several points on this one:

• I try to add a new Chase Sapphire Visa card, sends me to Chase, log in, go back to Quicken which then freezes when attempting to synchronize accounts. Must kill in Task Manager.
    • Quicken thinks the credit card is a "Brokerage" account.
  • I try to do one step update, which then freezes when attempting to synchronize accounts. Must kill in Task Manager.
    • Strangely, when I reopen the file, I find records have been updated.
  • The Accounts list indicates that my Genisys Credit Union "primary shares" account is now trying to sync with Chase and details indicate it is trying to synchronize the Chase Sapphire Visa number!
  • I updated my password but Quicken won't connect because the password is "incorrect". I am prompted to try it at their website, where it does work…
  • I've Validated and Super-validated to no avail.
  • I've tried to restore it from a past version to no avail.
  • I've moved the file to C:\Quicken to no avail.
  • I've paused OneDrive to no avail.

The execution of the new branding was flawless…

This has consumed more than 2 hours of my life with no solution. I am completely unable to use Quicken in this state.

What are the steps to resolve these issues?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will throw one possibility out.

If at any time you have reauthorize the online accounts Quicken will present a dialog that is meant for one to ensure the accounts in Quicken are linked to the right online accounts. Quicken will make a guess at which accounts should be linked but will get it wrong a good percentage of the time. You need to ensure the linking is correct. The "nick name" in grey is the Quicken account name that is going to get linked to the one before it in black characters.

Clearly, if you get the links wrong, all kinds of bad things can happen on the next download.

If this really messed up like this, you really have to Deactivate all the Chase and Genisys accounts and set them up again.

One approach to this would be to use Quicken's copy command which will deactivate all online services and get you a new Quicken Cloud dataset so that nothing on the server can be cross wired or such. Of course, the disadvantage of this is depending on what online services you have you might need to do quite a bit of setting them up again. For instance, I think Quicken Bill Manager would also be affected by this.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • nogreatnamesleft
    Options

Please elaborate on this copy command... I don't know it.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FILE, Copy or Backup File

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• nogreatnamesleft
    Options

Isn't this the same as trying to restore from a backup? I noted this did not work in the original post.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, this is quite different.

And just to be 100% clear this is the full "path":

File → Copy or Backup File … → select Create a copy or template → Next

With this copy what is going to happen is that all the online services will be disabled.

With a restore what happens is they first create a new Quicken Cloud dataset, and then sync it with the Quicken Desktop data file and try to get it to the state it was when you backed it up. In other words, the major difference is that they don't touch the online service connections.

Given that you are having major problems with those online service connections, the idea is that instead of trying to fix it by targeting only what you think might be wrong, you might just be going around in circles because you miss something that hasn't been reset. The Quicken copy function basically forces everything to be reset at once.

Signature:
  • nogreatnamesleft
    Options

Wow. I tried this.

I connect to Chase. It connects my Chase accounts to Chase bank. Then it connects my two car loans (from Genisys) to Chase… and puts investment transactions in them…

Then I tried to connect to Genisys. It requires an e-mail/mobile code for all 4 accounts (annoying).

It treats my car loans as credit cards. It acts as if it will connect one loan to the correct account in Quicken (I managed to disconnect it from Chase) but decides to create a new one for the other car. But when I check the accounts, the first loan is still linked to Chase.

Frustrated. I suspect I need to contact Quicken.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Connected car loans are always treated as credit cards because a credit card account is a close as it can get. It can't be a regular loan account because they are for loans that where the interest is calculated per month unlike car loans that are calculated based on the day your payment comes in.

Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you start with the file copy with all online connections deactivated and try connecting Genisys first and Chase second?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• nogreatnamesleft
    Options

I think I got everything relinked… Thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.