any Quicken 98 conversion issues with Categories ?

Options
Rusty9
Rusty9 Member ✭✭

I am still using Q98 and it does use categories. I have read about conversions that were successful and some that were not. Most complaints were categories. Could these have been records; (1) the category was blank; (2) the system was expecting standard categories vs customized categories because the customized categories hadn't been converted; (3) the payee wasn't included in the memorized list; (4) the record wasn't reconciled.

I would hope that the conversion wouldn't change/amend/edit reconciled records but I do not know that??.

Maybe a super User could answer that ???

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you could find a copy of QW2000, it should do a clean conversion from 98→2000. From there, 2000 can cleanly be converted by QW2004 and then QW2013 and then by subscription Quicken (2018+).

2004 and 2013 can be found at: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Some users have reported that you can go from '98 to 2004 successfully, YMMV.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what is your target for the conversion - the current version of Quicken ?

I am still using Q98 and it does use categories. I have read about conversions that were successful and some that were not. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rusty9
    Rusty9 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also concerned about doing a conversion because my backup are stored on a Flash drive under E:\Backup not E:\QuickenW vs C:\QuickenW. It says Quicken 98 Deluxe release 7.0. It's a US version. The Q98 is on a HP(reg=user) with XP (laptop/notebook S96F). I think it was changed from 16 to 32 bit under a service package 3 upgrade. The other is a HP (not user) Pavilion DV9700 (with Vista upgraded to win 10 Home with 64 bit.

How does the conversion handle custom categories?

How does the conversion handle different computer usernames between computers?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "cause" of a conversion failure isn't any of the ones you listed.

The most likely cause is some kind of corruption in the data file that the conversion couldn't handle.

Let's face it, the most likely reason people that are using such old versions of Quicken even come here is because something isn't working right. And in huge percentage of the time those problem will be caused by a problem in the data file.

To that end the very first thing a person with such problems should be doing is either going to a backup before the problem existed or trying Validate. And Validate should be run before doing any year version Quicken conversions.

I don't have the install for Quicken 2000, but I have converted a Quicken 96 file with Quicken 2004 without any problem. Quicken 2000 shouldn't really be needed. There are a couple "critical data file format changes" in the history of Quicken. One being Quicken 2004, where it can convert pretty much any Windows version before it, but where they have dropped the support for anything before like Quicken 2004 in the years after that.

Note that is one is going to do manual updating of their Quicken data file and not want any of the online services I recommend that you stop at Quicken 2013, because it is the last version that doesn't depend on something on the Quicken servers to work.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rusty9
    Rusty9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Excellent question : Q98 still works great and I did validation check recently which came without any issues. All transaction have been reconciled. I don't care if I have to post a few items monthly. I just want the categories posted correctly so I don't have to correct 100's of them later. I like your idea about stopping at Q2013. It takes too much time learning/understanding how the software works anyway! As you know Q98 used a phone connection back then. I am more concerned that it stop proceeding forward for something dumb like a drive or memorry issue (2,000K). The file is saved on my flash drive everytime its opened.

I doubt the Computer Geeks at Best Buy know as much about Quicken as you guys/girls know/care. My other concern is that if something goes wrong (as it always does) Quicken doesn't have a way to reverse it. Shame on Quicken. Thanks for the time you spent reading and helping get through this.

This discussion has been closed.