Old investment transactions did not have correct exchange rate - how to update?

Options
questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭

Every time I run the capital gains report I find it is inaccurate because some of the register investment transactions did not 'update' the currency exchange rate. It shows 1.000 bottom right of the transaction instead of say 1.3532. Now some transactions had this updated, and I have no idea why sometimes it misses some. Is there a way to do a wholesale file update of all these values for every sold security in the year? Some hotkey or process? Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @questionsforever,

To assist with this issue, could you please provide additional information? Is this issue happening only in the capital gains report, or are you seeing it happening in other places? When did you first notice this issue?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• questionsforever
    Options

all reports set using the checkbox 'transaction exchange rate'. If I update the currencies , I have to exit the program and start it again before it updates. Is there a way to update this field in the ledger entries without exiting and restarting the program? Note the set rate for this transaction defaults to 1.00. Only after downloading updated currencies and exiting and restarting quicken do they update.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since updating the exchange rate is associated with online services, I would recommend refreshing your registration token. To do this, you would need to log out of Quicken and then log back in again:

Go to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. Click the blue Sign in as a different user link.

In the confirmation box, type "yes" then click the Sign Out button.

Once Quicken finishes logging you out, it will bring you back to the login screen. Please login to your Quicken and test to see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• questionsforever
    Options

I am not sure this is the problem. For example, the exchange rate eventually updates. Whether by rebooting the software or sometimes just after a currency rate download (but not always). However the capital gains report still shows the old data, even if you select and unselect 'use transaction exchange rate' after the update. However, when I go to the currency of the report and move it from CAD back to USD and then back again to CAD, it updates with the new updated exchange rate in the register for those transactions that used to show 1.000 after the initial entry of the transaction.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.