Vanguard no longer appears in one-step update, cannot add password to password vault

Options
aurocapilla
aurocapilla Member ✭✭

I've been a Vanguard (and Quicken for Windows) customer for many years, and I recently opened some new IRA accounts there. For some reason, this has messed up the ability to update Vanguard transactions.

PROBLEM:

I have several active Vanguard accounts, and a couple of hidden dead Vanguard accounts and historically Quicken has done a good job of ignoring those when downloading new transactions. However, after adding the new IRA accounts, one-step update now throws up an error each time I run it, and complains that Vanguard doesn't recognize one of the old closed ones. It's not a fatal error - the other accounts still update ok and I can just ignore the error. However, it's very annoying to always get an error message and I'd like to fix the problem.

ATTEMPTED FIX:

I figured the best way to approach this problem was to simply delete the old hidden account. I clicked on "More Accounts" and closed the account that Quicken/Vanguard was complaining about.

However, Quicken seems to have also removed the Vanguard password from the password vault and is not allowing me to add it back.

I can no longer update any of the remaining Vanguard accounts from either one-step update or each account individually. Vanguard has been removed altogether from the one-step update screen. Each of the remaining accounts is "set up for transaction download" using Direct Connect, just as before:

However, If I go to each account and try to update transactions, I get the "One Step Update Settings" dialog box with the "Update now" button greyed out. If I click on "Fill Passwords" or "Manage Passwords" I go to the "Edit Password Vault" dialog box but the option to add a new password is also greyed out (see attached screenshots). Nothing happens at all if I click on "Show Passwords".

I tried "Reset Account" from the "Account Details" box but that didn't fix the problem.

I then tried manually deactivating online services from the "Account Details" box one by one for each of the seven Vanguard accounts and then turning online services back on by inputting my username/password and then associating each online account with its associated Quicken account. Quicken turned Direct Connect back on without complaining, but the problem remains; the password vault still doesn't have an entry for Vanguard and I can't add one.

If I can't resolve this, I'll just restore my last backup and go back to the "I get an error each time but it works" situation, but if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading my long post!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @aurocapilla,

Due to the nature of this issue and the troubleshooting steps having failed, we recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as an escalation may be in order.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• aurocapilla
    aurocapilla Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Quicken Jasmine,

Thanks for the recommendation. I called Quicken support and we worked on it for quite awhile but they were unable to resolve the problem. I suspect it's a bug.

This discussion has been closed.