Quicken Shuts Down After Opening and Never Loads the Data File

pmarr
pmarr Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

After Quicken updated itself this morning (I try to avoid these updates because it creates issues like this), it opens briefly, never loads the data file, and then shuts down.

I've downloaded the latest version from Quicken's site and installed but get the same result.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Suggestions on a fix to this buggy software?

Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @pmarr,

Is your data file stored in an external cloud service (ex.) One Drive)?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• pmarr
    pmarr Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

No it is not.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the exact path to your Quicken data file?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Helitac
    Helitac Member ✭✭

Similar problem! Earlier this month downloaded update for Quicken Deluxe for Windows. I ended up with Quicken Classic for the Web and Quicken Classic on my screen. When clicking to open It appeared it was going to open but my data file flashed on the screen and then disappeared, going to a white screen. Utter frustration with Quicken updates over the last couple years!

Went back to Quicken.Com and downloaded Quicken for Windows with same results . . . flash screen, shows data file and then transitions to white screen. On successive attempts MESSAGE: Create a new ID for your data file or sign in with a different Quicken ID? Why? If the data file won't open, you can't change the name . . . If I change my Quicken ID won't it impact my subscription? My advice: Quite messing with what was once a really good program or we will find something else!

What is the exact path to your Quicken data file? This PC - Documents - Data - Quicken - 2022

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭

I just went through a messy day with Quicken. Turns out the latest version of Quicken does not like the file being on a USB stick. So trying moving your file over to your hard drive and open quicken again. Good luck. My day was not fun!!

• W Matt E
    W Matt E Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I'm having this same problem, my Quicken data file is neither on a USB stick nor OneDrive or DropBox or anything else, the path is C:\Users\Eary\Documents\Quicken. When I try to open the data file it flashes on the screen briefly and then goes to a white screen with the message similar to "Create a new ID or sign in with a different ID", same as Helitac above. I called Quicken Support and was told I have a virus. Have tried multiple scans with different virus scanners which found nothing. It's my wife's machine and she is very cautious. Everything else (MS Office, Thunderbird Email, etc) works fine. Bad time of year for this to happen!

• Greg_the_Geek

I would suggest clicking sign in with a different ID to sign out of Quicken and then sign back in with your Quicken ID/Password.

• W Matt E

Tried "sign in with a different ID" and it never even prompts me for a different ID, same result.

• Greg_the_Geek

Are you prompted to sign out?

• W Matt E

No I don't think it did. Now it acts the same except it ends up at the "Need Help?" white screen but without the suggestion to use a new ID.

• Greg_the_Geek

I would suggest booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then trying Quicken.

• W Matt E

Same result in Safe Mode with Networking.

• W Matt E

Guess I'll have to try installing Quicken on another machine and remoting to it from the original machine.

• Greg_the_Geek

The only other suggestion I can offer, is to create a new Windows user account and try running Quicken from there. I can be a local account and not a Microsoft account.

• W Matt E

Good idea, but no joy. Thanks.

• Greg_the_Geek

Can you start Quicken without opening a data file by holding down the Ctrl key while double clicking the Quicken icon? If so, can you create a new data file and sign in with your Quicken ID?

This discussion has been closed.