Quicken on sale this week. How long before I need to activate it?

Options
spartikurt
spartikurt Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Before you Buy

There are some decent deals for Quicken this week but my subscription does not expire until June. Can I buy the product key now and hold it until June or is there an expiration time frame that needs to be considered (must be activated within 30 days, etc.)? I can't find that information on the website.

Also the sale says for new users only but if I remember correctly that wasn't necessarily true. I could still activate it last time even though I bought it on sale at the store. Is this still the case?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only way an existing user can use a "new user" version of Quicken is to create a new Quicken Id and then you would have to do it at the end of your existing subscription to not lose any of it with an overlap because you are starting a new subscription, not extending the existing subscription.

Starting a new subscription means that if you are using Q-Mobile/Q-Web, you will be starting over in it with only the recent history from your desktop data file (2 years I believe). If you have been using Q-Mobile/Q-Web for several years and want all that history available, then changing to a new Quicken Id is not a good choice.

Extensions can be applied to existing subscriptions during the last 6 months of the current subscription.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Retail purchases: Activation codes are good for one year after purchase.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

"Also the sale says for new users only but if I remember correctly that wasn't necessarily true. I could still activate it last time even though I bought it on sale at the store. Is this still the case?"

In the past I purchased a hard copy of Quicken Deluxe 'new users only' with installation cd. It also had a code inside. I used the code to extend my subscription and trashed the disk. It worked fine. Today I found a good price for a product key at OfficeDepot.com that said nothing about new users only. I hope it works as well.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you're looking at subscriptions that are not explicitly for new subscribers only, then you can use those codes anytime during the last 6 months of your current subscription and they will add 1 year of time to what you have left. You don't lose anything by using the code before your current subscription runs out.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To add on to what @Jon posted: You can enter that activation code (when the CD is not for new users only) anytime in the 6 months prior to the end of your existing subscription. It will add on 12 months to the end of your current subscription.

If you try to use the activation code more than 6 months out Quicken will not accept it as a subscription extension.

If it is a CD that said it was for new users then Quicken will not accept it for an existing subscription extension. As mentioned above, it can be used to create a new Quicken ID user account and subscription….which requires using a different email address for the Quicken ID….but you will lose continuity and history with regards to Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.