Creating Copy/Backup Removes 'Online Services' (from vault)

Options
skydivetom
skydivetom Member ✭✭

Hi:

I'm about to transfer all of my data files (incl. Quicken) onto a brand-new laptop.

Prior to the data transfer, I'm cleaning up my directories/folders and also perform some general file maintenance including but not limited to "reducing file sizes" (where possible).

Specially, my current Quicken file is 66MB in size. I was successful reducing the file size down to 21MB by merely selecting "File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template".

However, upon opening the new (smaller) Quicken file, I noticed that all 'online services' had removed from the VAULT.

My question(s):
a. Is there another method/process that allows me to reduce the file size w/o removing all online services from the VAULT?
b. If not, is there a way to re-import all online services from the previous (larger) file into the new (smaller) one?

Thank you,
Tom

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No to both questions.

And frankly a 66MB data file is small.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just the online services will be disabled. Basically, to ensure that the new copy can be used independently of the original, the unique Id in the data file that connects it to the Quicken Cloud Services (server) is changed, a new Quicken Cloud dataset is created, and all online services are disabled.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is the creation of the (new) unique ID internal to the Quicken software? Or do I also need to create a new profile that needs to be associated w/ the newly created unique ID?

It is internal to the Quicken Desktop data file. You can sort of think of it as the user Id for logging into the "Quicken Connection Services" which handle the online services like downloading of transactions, and the bill pay services, …

Ultimately, I don't want to 'open a can of worms' where I'm creating more harm than good (i.e., conflicts with downloading transactions if I ever to roll back to the old 66MB file).

That is in fact exactly why they changed this unique Id in the data file and forced you to setup new online connections in the new data file, which will ensure that the two data files have nothing that will interact with each other.

Note that your Quicken Id is more of the "subscription holder". For instance, if you had a second Quicken Id, you could log out of that the first Quicken Id, and into the second on a given data file, and the online connections would still be there.

Signature:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No to both questions.

And frankly a 66MB data file is small.

Signature:
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Chris_OPW:

Thank you for the prompt response… I appreciate it.

Besides the loss of all online services, will there be other features/functionalities (e.g., payees, reports, etc.) be removed? If not, maybe setting up the connections again from scratch may not be too bad.

Thanks again!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just the online services will be disabled. Basically, to ensure that the new copy can be used independently of the original, the unique Id in the data file that connects it to the Quicken Cloud Services (server) is changed, a new Quicken Cloud dataset is created, and all online services are disabled.

Signature:
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options

I see… final follow-up question.

Is the creation of the (new) unique ID internal to the Quicken software? Or do I also need to create a new profile that needs to be associated w/ the newly created unique ID?

Ultimately, I don't want to 'open a can of worms' where I'm creating more harm than good (i.e., conflicts with downloading transactions if I ever to roll back to the old 66MB file).

Thanks,

Tom

• skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW

FYI — I was a bit reluctant creating the new Quicken file + 'online services' given it has been more than 10 years since I created this step in my current Quicken file.

To my pleasant surprise, re-creating the online service (successfully) was a BREEZE!! :)

Ultimately, my new Quicken file is now ~33% of its original size and the online services (e.g., transaction downloads) work just like before (e.g., in the old file).

KUDOS to the Quicken team which has made this process very, very easy!

Thank you for your assistance and verifying that all other features would remain in the new file. After quick file review, I can confirm that statement.

All the best, and again THANKS!!

Cheers,

Tom

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is internal to the Quicken Desktop data file. You can sort of think of it as the user Id for logging into the "Quicken Connection Services" which handle the online services like downloading of transactions, and the bill pay services, …

That is in fact exactly why they changed this unique Id in the data file and forced you to setup new online connections in the new data file, which will ensure that the two data files have nothing that will interact with each other.

Note that your Quicken Id is more of the "subscription holder". For instance, if you had a second Quicken Id, you could log out of that the first Quicken Id, and into the second on a given data file, and the online connections would still be there.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.