Wrong Nickname Offered for New Accounts

Options

I am a new user setting up accounts for the first time. When adding Schwab accounts 5 of 7 accounts came through with unique nicknames and 2 brokerage accounts came through with a nickname of one of my existing non Schwab bank accounts. I selected not to add them rather than have them linked to the wrong account. I tried to import them a number of times and had the same issue each time so I have not added them. The same thing happened when I tried to add an account from TD bank. How can I get them added with unique nickames?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can edit the name of any account by clicking TOOLS, Account List, EDIT adjacent to the particular account and then changing the "Account Name" and then clicking OK in the lower right corner to save the change

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BarkleysMom
    Options

If I add the new accounts and accept the wrong default nickname won’t the new accounts records be merged with the other account with the same nickname? There is no option that I can see edit the nickname before downloading the records to the wrong account.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think that @NotACPA missed where you are talking about.

Is this where you are talking about?

If so, let me explain what is going on for this dialog.

The "Account" column the name at the financial institution.

The Nickname in Quicken is the account name that Quicken is going to create or link to in Quicken. And you are correct in that you would never want two accounts from the "Account column" to be pointing to the same "nickname"/Quicken account.

I have no idea why Quicken would do that (suggest that they be the same), but you have to understand that when the "Action" is set to Add to Quicken you can click on the Nickename in Quicken text box and change it to whatever you like, and it will create that account and link the online account to it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BarkleysMom
    Options

Thanks for your help Chris -

I have no ability to edit the nickname in the Quicken nickname field on the accounts I am having this problem with. I was able to edit all the others I pulled in but not any of the ones that came through with the nickname of an existing account. So for now I have not linked my 3 accounts with this issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Switch to Add to Quicken instead of Link to existing…

And then change the name(s). After that you can try to change it back to Link to existing if that is what you want.

If Quicken changes the names back to the wrong ones then go back to Add to Quicken change the name(s) and add them to Quicken and then go into the old account(s) and select the gear icon and then Move transactions, and move all the transactions from the old account to the new one.

Signature:
  • rbmagee
    rbmagee Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same problem. For days I couldn't get one of four Wells Fargo accounts to download data after authorizing new protocol. I kept getting the message from Quicken that it could not find my Joint Checking account at Wells Fargo (done successfully for 20 years until now) and that I had to reauthorize the download. Did so again and again. All that time Quicken was assigning a nickname to the account from a long-closed account (20 years ago). I reset the Joint Checking account and now am getting a good download except that the data are being downloaded to the long-closed account, not the current Joint Checking account. How do I change that stupid nickname? That's what's causing the foul-up. This is all concurrent with the new Wells Fargo protocol, and it's from the Quicken end, not Wells Fargo.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How do I change that stupid nickname? That's what's causing the foul-up. 

The "stupid nickname" is the name of one of your accounts in Quicken. Basically, Quicken is picking the wrong Quicken account to link with the online account. Normally that wouldn't be a real big issue (even though I think they could do better on this guess) because you should be able to select the Link pulldown menu and select the right Quicken account to link to the online account.

If not possible then try the suggestion I made above.

Signature:
  • rbmagee
    rbmagee Member ✭✭
    Options

Three accounts were reauthorized for the new protocol without trouble. But there was no way to link the Joint Checking account because Quicken said it couldn't find it at Wells Fargo, though it had been finding it for 20+ years until now. In the dialogue box where I should be able to link to an existing account, I had no option of doing that. As I noted, after resetting that account I now get a download, Quicken finds it, but the data are going into the long-closed nickname account. The data are automatically linked to a dead account, a VectraBank account that my wife had 20+ years ago. I have run file Validate and Repair and it can't find anything wrong. Quicken arbitrarily grabbed that old account, with an account number in no way comparable to the Joint Checking account. And I can't find a tool for getting rid of the nickname — it doesn't show up in Edit Account. The only way I can get a good download to the right account is to do so manually from Wells Fargo: I get the .qfx file, open it, and it goes to the Joint Checking account in Quicken. Now, if I can do that FROM Wells Fargo, why can't I do it FROM Quicken?

• rbmagee
    rbmagee Member ✭✭
    Options

PROBLEM FOUND AND SOLVED: I checked the dead VectraBank edit account details and found it had been activated for downloading data from Wells Fargo, so I deactivated it. How the heck did that happen when Quicken said it couldn't find Joint Checking at Wells Fargo? I then reauthorized the Wells Fargo accounts online through Quicken and the Joint Checking download is working properly now. I did NOT link one of the four accounts, a closed Wells Fargo Mortgage Account, to the old data file, as it shows a nickname of "Target Visa." I have used Quicken for more than 30 years and all of this has been new, creative accounting!

This discussion has been closed.