Quicken "Hanging" at startup & when accessing various/different/ accounts...

Options

Greetings…I am looking to see if any member has seen this type of behavior in Quick Classic for Windows:

Occasionally…When I start quicken (After entering my password)…Quicken opens…but just hangs. There is no menu bar (i.e. File, Edit, View, Tools, Home ,etc.)). It'l' stay that way for hours! (I know…I let it just run one day to see if it ever finishes what ever it is doing).

to recover…I have to stop quicken via the task manager. I sometimes have to restart Quick 2-3 more times before Quicken opens and I have a Menu bar.

I have run numerous "Super" validates…that seems to fix it for a little while.

Even if I get quicken to start…I can do some work…then…if I click into a new account …it'll just hang again (with the Blue spinning circle)….

There has to be a corruption…but I cannot determine what it is. Super validate has reported "Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders."

I have deleted all my scheduled transactions…and I Super validate still reports

"Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders."

I have attached my validate log in the event it can aid in troubleshooting.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pp05629,

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• pp05629
    pp05629 Member
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion. I have uninstalled and re-installed on my Windows 10 Pro install. I will monitor for the next few days to see if the behavior persists.

Btw…attached is a picture of the symptoms.

Note the no Menu and the spinning cursor/mouse pointer. it'll just spin for hours.

anyway…'ill check back to report if the problem is persisting.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pp05629,

Thank you for sharing that screenshot.

Please come back to update us if the issue continues to persist.

-Quicken Jasmine

• pp05629
    pp05629 Member
    Options

It is still occurring occasionally….so I am at a crossroads…I have been a Quicken user since 1992…it contains my financial life. But this is going to force me in one of the following directions:

1). Try copying my Quicken data file to a smaller subset…see if that fixes/eliminates what ever corruption there is in the data file.

2). Maybe try using Quicken Mac (I am using Quicken Windows on a Mac/VMWare Fusion virtual PC).

3). Find an alternative to Quicken.

4). Live with it in the hopes whatever the problem is…get's fixed my some miracle in a future Quicken update.

Options 1 or 4 will be the likely options…with a possibility of using option 2…even with it's shortcomings to the Windows version.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pp05629,

In that case then next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

• pp05629
    pp05629 Member
    Options

Greetings…I did a full new copy last weekend…so far so good…no hangs (Fingers crossed). A few hiccups in getting to the current (properly functioning) state:

1). I did have to re-set up my online connections. I had 1 weird situation. When I attempted to set up the online connectivity to my Capital One Credit Card…the screen would just go grey…and I'd have no response to mouse clicks, ESC key…nothing. To get around this…I set up a new capital one Credit card account with no transactions. I set up online connectivity to this account…but when Quicken asked if I wanted to link the online setup to the new account or an existing account…I selected "Existing account" and pointed it to my Capital One CC account that had all my transactions in it. It worked perfectly. Now all my accounts are properly linked to their related online sites and working fine.

2). I had a persistent problem where Validate/Super Validate always reported that I had a damaged/corrupt Scheduled reminder and that it was removed. That is now gone…but I don't think it was the new copy that cleared it. Once I did the new copy…(before I reset the online connections)…I ran a super validate. The persistent "Corrupt/damaged" scheduled reminder was gone! (Thank goodness). My theory is that the damaged reminder was related to one of the accounts that was setup up for online connectivity…and was removed when I did the super validate BEFORE re-connecting my accounts to their online set ups. In my old Datafile I could NEVER get rid of this mysterious damaged scheduled reminder…But it miraculously resolved after the new copy and subsequent super validate…before I reconnected my accounts to their online sites. Just a theory…No way to 100% know.

In any event…so far…so good. 1 week in with the new data file and no hangs…😓

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pp05629,

Thank you for coming back to update us and for sharing more information.

I am happy to hear that we were able to reach a resolution!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.