Wells Fargo Accounts are not available for reauthorization

Options
Karlstad
Karlstad Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭

we have been asked to re-authorize Wells Fargo accounts, but when I get to the point in which I have to link my Wells Fargo accounts with the accounts that already in Quicken, it does not give me the option of linking my Wells Fargo account to the appropriate account in Quicken. The Wells Fargo account in Quicken simply are not listed as an option. How does one resolve this?

Comments

• Karlstad
    Options

The only accounts it offers me to link to my Wells Fargo accounts are those that I have previously hidden in Quicken.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Karlstad,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is it showing the correct account type, and just not showing the correct account?

If it is showing an incorrect account type, that may be the reason for the issue (eg, it won't let you connect an investment account to a checking or credit card account in Quicken).

If it is showing the correct account type, then you likely are not seeing the account as an option because Quicken already thinks the account is connected. To resolve that issue, first, backup your Quicken file. Then, deactivate the account(s) that you need to reauthorize. Once the accounts are deactivated, reconnect them by going to Tools>Add Account and following the prompts. When on the Add/Link screen, carefully re-link your accounts.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Karlstad
    Options

Thank you for responding…

When I get to the screen that you included (The one where you link accounts), all of my Wells Fargo accounts are listed and the account types are correct, but the "Nickname in Quicken" lists the wrong account in every single case even though I have linked these accounts to Wells Fargo for the past 15 years or so. It seems that the links are now arbitrarily set to old or hidden accounts. Moreover, when I click "link to existing" under Actions, the correct account is not even listed even though each of these accounts been linked to the correct account in one step update and has been working fine for years.

• fredbusse
    fredbusse Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem. When I reactivate my Wells Fargo Account and it returns me to Quicken, It only gives me a link to my Discover Bank account, so to download, I have to select "add new account". How do I merge this with my Wells Fargo account, or should I wait until you fix this?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

From what you describe, it sounds like Quicken is still seeing those accounts as connected, which is why it's not giving you the option to link your accounts to them after reauthorizing. Did you follow the instructions I provided in my earlier post (backup file, deactivate the accounts that need to be reauthorized, then go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts to authorize and re-link them)?

@fredbusse,

If you added your Wells Fargo account as a new account, you have a couple options:

1. The first option is to delete the duplicate account, deactivate your accounts that need to be reauthorized, then reconnect them. To do that, follow these steps - First, backup your Quicken file. Next, Delete that newly added account(s) since it's a duplicate. Then, deactivate the account(s) that you need to reauthorize. Once the account(s) is deactivated, reconnect it by going to Tools>Add Account and following the prompts. When on the Add/Link screen, carefully re-link your accounts.
    2. Your second option is to copy/paste your transactions from the older account that it didn't let you relink into the newly added account, being careful not to duplicate any of the transactions that already downloaded into that newly added account. To do this, first, backup your Quicken file. Next, select the transactions you want to move (regular shortcuts for bulk selecting work for most accounts), then select Copy transaction(s), go to the register for the new account, and select Paste transactions. Review the register to make sure you aren't missing any transactions and make sure none are duplicated. Once you verified all the information needed has been moved to the new account, you can delete the old account. Repeat the process for each affected account.

If you did not add it as a new account and just stopped the process since there was no option to relink, then I recommend you follow the directions I provided in my earlier post (if you haven't already).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• tresthompson
    Options

I'm having the same issue. It's not so much an issue of old accounts showing up for linking. It's the fact that the current accounts aren't showing up as available to link. The option of adding the account and then copying over the transactions from the existing account to the new account is not really an option for those of us that have a significant amount of transaction history. There's clearly a bug in the Quicken update feature that needs to be fixed.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @tresthompson,

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Backup your Quicken file.
    2. Deactivate the account(s) that needs to be reauthorized.
    3. Reconnect the account(s) by going to Tools>Add Account and following the prompts.
    4. Carefully re-link the account(s) to the correct nickname in Quicken.

If you are still not seeing the correct account(s) to link to after following these steps, then I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• robertgk1
    robertgk1 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I am having this same issue, I have deactivated the account.

gone in the the Tools add account.

reathorized wells fargo for the 10th time,

and when it shows me the link up it says CHECKING. this is not a checking account its a credit card.
    how do I change that?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @robertgk1,

To assist with this issue, could you please provide additional information? Is it trying to link to an existing checking account, or is it trying to add it as a new account, and incorrectly identifying it as a checking account?

If it shows add as new, then try clicking the dropdown in the Type column and see if credit card is an option. If it's trying to incorrectly link to an existing checking account, then click the dropdown in the Action column, set it to the add as a new account option, then see if it will let you change the account type to credit card.

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Marcus Matos
    Marcus Matos Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Add me to the list. A few days ago, my Wells Fargo accounts stopped syncing although I did the re-authorization. Today, I removed all Online Setup and revoked the Wells Fargo authorization and tried re-setting things back up from scratch (link to existing accounts in Quicken). For some reason, only my mortgage account shows up. My Credit Card doesn't show up in Quicken when (re)adding accounts.

Edit: 12/26 @ 10:30AM CT: I tried again this morning just for fun, and suddenly my credit card is now showing. Perhaps the engineers came back from Christmas break and fixed it? :)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Marcus Matos,

I'm glad to hear you were finally able to connect that account. From what you described, it sounds like what may have happened is a maintenance or temporary issue on the financial institution side.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

• Moe_1
    Moe_1 Member
    Options

I'm getting a time out or connect error after I try to reauthorize my wells fargo web connect. This has been going on for a month or more. I already tried everything noted in the previous comments.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Moe_1,

I can see that you tried several different connection options with Wells Fargo. What type of account(s) are you having trouble connecting? What is the exact error message/error code you are getting? Is the error happening in Quicken, or is it happening when trying to populate the Wells Fargo web page do go through the authorization?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.