Want VOID transaction back in Quicken for Mac

Options
SMS1
SMS1 Member ✭✭

I have been a Quicken user on Mac since 1995. I used to be able to VOID a transaction. Why did that ability go away? I noticed it can still be done in Windows, and it's even mentioned as preferable for some situations. I want to keep track of voided checks.

It's not a "trivial" function, as suggested in a previous discussion. I used to be able to click on the transaction then use the command function ⌘D. No extra typing, notes, changing balance, etc. This is my preference for keeping track and ease of use.

If the way to do this changed, please let me know. Otherwise, Quicken how do we get it back?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How many transactions do you have to void that this would be anything but trivial?

And for the record Quicken Windows void function messes it up. It puts VOID at the start of the payee, and zeros the amount, which is fine, but it should also record the amount in the memo. It is very important to know what that previous amount was.

And the reason this feature went away in Quicken Mac is because Quicken Mac was totally rewritten starting in 2007 and much more important features are definitely going to be on the "to do list" over something as trivial as this.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

It's not a "trivial" function, as suggested in a previous discussion.

It is absolutely a trivial thing to do in Quicken Mac. 😀

Edit the transaction to be voided and…

• In the memo field, enter "VOID:" and the original amount, and optionally a reason for the void (e.g. "check never received" or "wrote check for wrong amount").
    • Change the Amount to zero.
    • Press Return to save the transaction.

That's it. It takes just a few seconds.

The next time you reconcile the account, this $0 transaction will be in the list, and you can check it off as reconciled. (Or, to mark it reconciled immediately, you can Option-lick the Clr field twice to make the transaction reconciled. I like doing as part of the next monthly reconciliation, because then it's part of your reconciliation history should you ever want to see when you voided the transaction.)

How many voided transactions do you have in a year? This isn't a complex or time-consuming thing to do.

By the way, this method improves upon what used to happen in Quicken Mac 2007, and according to Chris, in Quicken Windows: you don't want to lose the amount of the original transaction, and you don't want to create a new separate Payee by inserting "Void" as a prefix in the Payee field.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm glad you mentioned that @jacobs, I had forgot about how Quicken Mac deals with payees. In Quicken Mac they deal with them the same say as they do with categories, as in there is a link to the one name, change it in one place and it changes everywhere. Quicken Windows does the same with categories, but not with payees. If you need to change the payee everywhere you have to do a search and replace everywhere. Both have advantages and disadvantages. But for sure on Quicken Mac you don't want to go around creating a whole lot of new payees, so using them memo is the better approach.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.