Using QWin with multiple PCs

Options
domtrump
domtrump Member ✭✭

Using Quicken Classic for Windows. The way I work, I have QWin installed on two PCs (a desktop and a laptop). Normally, I use the desktop and either Quicken on the web or the mobile app (iOS). I add transactions at home or on the mobile device and then sync to the cloud from the desktop. Now all transactions from either side stay in sync.

Going to be travelling so now the laptop comes into play. My thought was that if I now sync QWin from the laptop to the cloud, the transactions would come over from the cloud and now all three copies of my data file (Desktop, Laptop, Cloud) would be in sync. This does not seem to be the case. Seems like the older copy on the laptop wants to push data to the cloud and over-write what is already out there?

What is the proper way to set this up? Currently, the data file is saved locally to the hard drives of both the laptop and the desktop. Should I be storing my primary data file on One Drive or something instead of the local hard drives? Please advise how to set this up so that my laptop, desktop and mobile/web/cloud will always be in sync. Thanks.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken will not keep two computers (your desktop & laptop) in sync with each other. When you move from using one computer to the other, you MUST copy the data file from one computer to the other.

Copy the .QDF file any way you want begin the two computers, but the move/copy has to be done.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• domtrump
    domtrump Member ✭✭
    Options

Get this warning:

• domtrump
    domtrump Member ✭✭
    Options

Hmmm… need to keep in sync from anywhere. After decades as a Quicken user, guess I'll be looking for an alternative. I see Quicken has a product called Simplifi. Is this a viable alternative that will accomplish my requirements?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've advised you on how to not have this issue. Quicken can just not sync information between two computers to keep both of them up-to-date, it takes user intervention.

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use a memory stick to move from the desktop to the laptop…..when done using the laptop move the data back from the laptop to the desktop….do NOT use cloud to try and sync

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have kept my Quicken data file on OneDrive for many years with no issues (and yes I know Quicken says not to do this but there are many users doing the same thing). The only thing you have to remember is you need to pause OneDrive while using Quicken. This allows me to update quicken on my home and work computers.

• domtrump
    domtrump Member ✭✭
    Options

"Use a memory stick…" Um, no. That would not work. No way I would go through that. Used to use LapLink back in the day to do something similar but that was 15+ years ago! Technology has certainly changed since then. Data files need to be stored in a central location that can be accessed by the desktop apps from ANY location. This is the basic way that all modern applications work. Think MS Outlook. The data file lives in the cloud and you can access it using desktop client software from any computer. That is today's software model.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@domtrump

Data files need to be stored in a central location that can be accessed by the desktop apps from ANY location. This is the basic way that all modern applications work. Think MS Outlook. The data file lives in the cloud and you can access it using desktop client software from any computer.

1. Quicken is not a modern application. It is 30 years old. If you want a modern application, look elsewhere.
    2. My Outlook data lives on my PC, not in the cloud. Why would I want my private data on anyone else's computer? If I want to carry my Outlook around, I lug my laptop.
    3. On the other hand, I do use Gmail, which I assume people at Google can read. I delete it from their server often and can only hope they're not keeping copies of it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel said:

Quicken is not a modern application. It is 30 years old. If you want a modern application, look elsewhere.

Recently I just realized that Quicken turned 40 years old this year. 🤣

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@domtrump said:

I see Quicken has a product called Simplifi. Is this a viable alternative that will accomplish my requirements?

Quicken Simplifi is online only (Mobile app and Web) so that part of your requirements are covered, but it has a lot less features than Quicken Desktop. So, it really depends on what other features you need.

On the syncing of Quicken Desktop let me explain a bit of why it isn't possible to sync Desktop to Desktop using the Quicken Cloud dataset. The Quicken Desktop data file has far more data in it than what is stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset (Quicken Mobile & Quicken Web are basically the GUIs for the Quicken Cloud dataset). So, there are changes you might make in your Quicken Desktop data file that can never be transferred to a copy of the Quicken Desktop data file.

So, the copying of that data file to the other machine has to be done outside of this system.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I lost track when they stopped incrementing the major version number annually and left it at 27.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QW2017 was 26.x.x.x

27.x.x.x started with US subscription in Fall of 2017.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, Quicken Windows is actually bit younger, the original DOS version for US came out 1983.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.