Can Quicken be used to model performance of my investments (edit)

Options
lee de cola
lee de cola Member ✭✭
edited January 9 in Investing (Windows)

i'm a data scientist new to Quicken and i'd like to use it to manage my investments (10 'funds'). in particular I’d like to use it to model possible future performance if I shift money from my existing funds to others.

it's important that i keep the information offline.

Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My opinion - Quicken does a good job for the most part managing the investments you have. It is not programmed to help you forecast the future or assist you with detailed risk / reward assessment and evaluation. Your goal "to model possible future performance" suggests to me Quicken is not the right program for you.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it's important that i keep the information offline.

That's easy, don't download, do not use Quicken Web/Mobile, that should keep all of your data out of the Quicken Cloud Account.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with q_lurker, forecasting future returns and such is not Quicken's sweet spot. It does a pretty good job of managing what you have but not modeling for future performance.

• lee de cola
    lee de cola Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks - then i'll probably continue to use R and excel…

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken is a data keeping software program - not created for data modeling…

Suggest you ask over in the - http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lee de cola
    lee de cola Member ✭✭
    Options

the reason i want to do some modeling is that i want to explore some divestment from vanguard…

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

always good financial discussions over on the Boglehead forum - but they tend to be fans of Vanguard funds -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Bogleheads' philosophy is: Set a diversified target asset allocation - Buy low cost index funds or ETFs - Hold - Rebalance. They do not make any attempt to time the market.

If that matches your philosophy, they are an excellent resource.

QWin Premier subscription
  • lee de cola
    lee de cola Member ✭✭
    Options

i've been studying the history of finance during the last 200 years and find it's founded on 2 principles: navigate risk and returns, but i think the time has come to consider other factors, particularly the impact of capital on the wider environment. i want to do good without losing my assets and those of my children in the unfolding conjuncture. it may be too late, however, to prevent serious damage.

This discussion has been closed.