Bill reminder presenting on wrong date

Options

I'm using Quicken Classic Deluxe on a Win11 Pro laptop. I've read other discussions about similar problems with no resolution.

My QDF file resides in a folder on a logical drive partitioned on the C: drive. I'm not linked to any other service, no cloud or network. I'm a standalone personal PC.

For the most part, the reminders appear to work if I set a specific date whether it be one-time, monthly, semi-annually or annually.

However, the one outstanding erroneous reminder has to do with my Social Security income. In my case, my deposit is made on the second Wednesday of every month. I have so indicated this in the reminder with notifications starting 3 days before. But I almost never get the reminder starting 3 days before the second Wednesday of the month. As an example, this month, December, my deposit is due on the 13th. I started receiving the notice on the 8th saying the deposit is coming on the 11th.

So my question is why give the option of something like the 2nd Wednesday of a month, when that almost never works?

Vic

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @VicM,

This sounds like a data file issue could be occurring.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options

Quiken Jasmine,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have performed the validation procedure. I won't know if that corrected anything until the next month and the month after. If that didn't work, I'll try the super validation as well.

But just to be clear, this situation occurred even when I was using my original version of Quicken that I had purchased. That was Quicken Premium 2015. Because I purchased a new laptop, I was unable to install the older version because that was still when Quicken was owned by Intuit. And when I tried installing, the system presented a splash screen that wanted me to log into Intuit. So I had to purchase the latest version to install on my new laptop.

Vic

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please review ("Edit this reminder and all instances") to see if 2nd Wednesday is correctly defined in the reminder.
    This example uses 3rd Wednesday.

Are you using Windows date formats, Locale settings other than standard US, mm/dd/yyyy?

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options

UKR

Yes, my reminder looks exactly like that except I chose the 2nd Wed of the month.

Vic

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please try setting up a new test reminder with "monthly on the 2nd Wednesday".
    Execute it thru a number of instances and see if it correctly advances from one month to the next.
    If it does, I suspect that there's some unrepairable damage in your current SocSec reminder record.
    In that case, I'd 1st: create a new reminder using a different payee name. 2nd: delete the old reminder. 3rd: rename the new reminder to old reminder's name. 4th: See if that now behaves better.

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options

UKR,

Thanks for the suggestion. But how would I check this out? Should I change the computer clock? Might that not mess up other tasks that the computer runs in the background?

Or are you suggesting waiting and seeing how the new reminder works over the next couple of months?

Vic

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nothing as complicated …
    From Tools Menu / Manage Bill & Income Reminders locate the Test reminder and Enter it three or four times in a row, checking the new Due Date after every Enter.

I'm really puzzled because I've not seen reminders misbehave like that in all the years I've been using Quicken in a "vanilla" Windows computer configured for US English, mm/dd/yyyy system date format.

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh, Ok. I see what you're saying. And after doing that, the dates remained as the 2nd Wed of the month each time.

So your theory that something was inherently wrong with the original reminder must have been correct.

Thank you for that!

Vic

This discussion has been closed.