Why don't reference numbers and notes show the same way on both sides of a transfer?

Options
wpg 51
wpg 51 Member ✭✭

I am using Quicken Classic R53.16 on Windows 11

When I am entering a transfer and put a reference number or note for a transfer, it doesn't show up on the other side of the transfer. In the following example, you will see that in the cash account, there is an entry for muffins in the notes section. In the reimbursements account, this is not shown. It doesn't matter what type of accounts I am using.

I didn't put a reference number in this transaction, but I have the same problem as with the notes. It doesn't matter if I enter the notes directly into the column or if I enter it using flags and notes.

This is extremely frustrating as I always have to go back and manually enter the information on the other side of the transaction.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What if you put muffins in the memo field instead? Does memo copy over? Are you typing it in when you make the original entry? If you go back and edit a transaction that won't update the other account.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• wpg 51
    wpg 51 Member ✭✭
    Options

I reserve the memo field for information downloaded from my bank. The memo information doesn't copy over either. I put the note and reference number (if applicable) in when I am making the original entry

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You ask "Why … "

Beyond my snippy answer "Because they didn't program it that way", we the community of users can rarely answer such why questions. The programming staff doesn't participate in this community and likely such decisions were made so long ago they couldn't answer either. So you are left getting unsubstantiated opinions such as I might offer here.

Reference Number — Perhaps the most common 'transfer' is checking account to credit card. The most plausible scenario (particularly when Quicken was first developed) was writing a check with a check number and entering that transaction as a transfer to pay the credit card. The check number has virtually no significance in the credit card account, so why transfer that tidbit of information. What does initially transfer is Date, Payee, Amount, and Memo. Now, I frequently initiate the CC payment from the CC side and get a confirmation number from them that I use in the checking account register. I don't bother with a Reference number column on the CC account side.

From there it is perhaps relevant to note that after those two linked transactions are created with those 4 data shared, less information is actually linked. If you later change the payee or memo on one side, those changes do not occur on the other side. If you change date or amount on one side, those do also change on the other side. That policy is deeply ingrained in the programming, meaning it has been that way 'forever'. The premise there seems to be that one might want the Payee to read "Credit Card Co" in the check register and "Bank Account A" in the credit card register, or some similar distinction. Likewise, the user might want different information in the memo field. Some users are adamant about wanting it one way and others are equally adamant about the other way.

As to the Notes field, that was a much later addition to transactions. I believe initially it was not possible to create a note at the same time the transaction was first created. As such, even the thought of linking that info may have never materialized.

So I am suggesting that while there is an effort to share limited information when linked transactions are first created, there is a definite pattern (decision) that after that initial creation, only date and amount are so linked.

Hope you find these thoughts helpful.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reference # is a downloaded field (it is even named "downloaded reference") from the financial institution and would be unique for each half of a transfer so it shouldn't be the same and the user can't enter it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wpg 51
    wpg 51 Member ✭✭
    Options

When you "link" information, it should show the same transaction on both sides. The date, payee, category, tag, and amounts are the same on both sides. Any notes or memos included in the original entry should also be the same on both sides.

The "downloaded" fields you show on your screenshot are extra fields used when information is downloaded from your bank, if you want to use them. I refer to the reference # that you can enter yourself, such as a cheque number, or order number. I use it for referencing transactions that might be related. For example, my daughter sends me money by interac e-transfer. I then transfer the funds to the proper account number. I show the reference number for the transfer in both transactions so I can see at a glance that when she sends me the money, it has used the way it is intended to be.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you "link" information, it should show the same transaction on both sides. 

That is an "opinion" and I can tell you for sure that there are people with a different opinion on this. In fact, if everyone agreed then most likely the developers would have put that implementation in instead of what they have done.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.