Install Quicken 2017 on a Win10 computer

Options
littouch
littouch Member
edited January 13 in Before you Buy

I bought a 2017 Premier to use on my new windows 10 computer. However, Quicken is blocking me from using it with a subscription. Is there a way to make it work?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

Quicken 2017 is not a subscription program; subscriptions began the following year (e.g. Quicken 2018). If you bought a Quicken subscription, you can download and run the current Quicken from Quicken.com. If you bought an old copy of Quicken 2017 from someone, the only reason for that is generally to avoid paying for subscriptions now and in the future. Can you clarify what you bought and what you're trying to do.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note the information that follows is for Quicken Windows. For Quicken Mac, this is hard stop you can't buy Quicken Mac 2017 and register it.

Subscription is the wrong word, but the problem is real. "Subscription" is how you pay for ongoing support of the online services. You pay per year. Opposed to the old model that you paid for Quicken and got 3 years of online service from the time it was released (so online services of Quicken 2017 expired in 2020). In theory Quicken 2017 was supposed to be able to be used in a manual mode after that point, "subject to changes".

Starting in Quicken Windows 2014 they added the Intuit Id which became the Quicken Id in later patch releases. To register these versions of Quicken one must log into their Quicken Id (which connects to the Quicken server to do this), and for some time now that log in hasn't been working for any version of Quicken other than Quicken Subscription.

People that had an existing registered copy of Quicken 2014 through 2017 have "sometimes" been able to bypass this registration and use it, but someone that is totally newly bought Quicken 2017 is most likely never going to be able to use it. There are basically two parts to the registration. One is some kind of information put into the Quicken Id on the Quicken server, and the other is some information in a Quicken.ini file. For the people that already had a registration associated with their Quicken Id they have a "chance" at bypassing a problem with the Quicken.ini file for instance in the case of installing on a new machine. But a person that never had the registration associated with the Quicken Id has zero chance of it working.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you been using Quicken before? What version? If you are new to Quicken there is an older version you can use before the Quicken ID started. That is if you don't want to download transactions or use any online services. Or you will need to buy the current new version.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@littouch - in case you come back here….

Quicken has gone thru some "usage" changes in the last 10 years -
    and depending upon the version you are trying to install, it will work or not.
    Did you purchase Quicken 2017 from somewhere because it was really cheap ?
    Q2013 was last year that Quicken didn't require a User ID -
    Q2017 still need to "register" to the old Intuit servers, which no longer exist - so can't "register" - can't use Q2017
    Q2018 was when they created the "yearly subscription" model to continue to use Quicken for online downloading.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.