Portfolio return Quilt

Options

When quicken first came out there was a graph that we could view with a bar chart that had returns separated by asset class for the year. small caps up, large caps down, etc and then you could scroll to the right and view the next year. very nice but it didn't last long. The closest that i can find is a "quilt" chart that shows returns by class. it is interactive and very useful. Here is a link to my favorite one of these. https://novelinvestor.com/asset-class-returns/ . It is a very valuable chart that could be optimized with our data on quicken.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've always been fond of that chart. Just one glance shows the importance of diversification.

It would be cool - and probably eye-opening - to substitute our real life allocations for the AA in the chart.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I went to the Novel Investor site and they have some pretty sophisticated portfolio analyzers. I was able to plug in an approximation of my asset allocation according to Quicken and got a growth of $10k about 9% different from Quicken's. I didn't plug in individual securities, which probably would have yielded a result closer to Quicken's.

I think perhaps this kind of thing is too complex for Quicken and, as I have learned, there exist more tools out there than anyone could want.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• hambone45
    hambone45 Member ✭✭
    Options

A squirrel should be an optimist!

• hambone45
    hambone45 Member ✭✭
    Options

it would be much easier to see what is on sell in my portforlio and what has a high price to make decisions more easily.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unless there is an API like say the way they are getting the MorningStar X-Ray portfolio this is never going to happen.

Quicken Inc isn't an investment management company.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would be happy if Quicken's Growth of $10,000 calculation was not flawed, but that is a topic for a discussion that has been closed and archived.

QWin Premier subscription